New stimson python owner HELP..!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodieee

Reaction score
actually its my very first snake ever ive read they are easy snakes for first timers. and i am quite excited but really nervous to get it later in the week.

i have quick questions for any one that can help,
what should i keep in the enclosure?
do they need more than one hidy holes?
which floor is easy to maintain and still look pretty?

when i get him how long should i wait till i fed my lil number?
any other tips?

ive looked through quite a few websites and all say different things, im looking for a popular answer on what you all use or do..
these are silly and common questions i know.

You will probably get better answers if you post pics of the enclosure you are going to use or at least describe it. I have a glass tank and use astro turf for the substrate, I still put a few layers of news paper beneath it. My spotted yearing has a hide in the cool end of the tank and tucks up under the arch of stone I have at the warm end if he feels like hiding there. A climbing branch and two water bowls, one small and the other a large one. I use a heat mat and a halogen light to warm my setup.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/first-go-habitat-build-179373/

Fair call timske, I wasn't even thinking hatchy... my bad. Brand new little hatchy and it's a lot simpler game again.

Stimsons are great snakes. If you are getting a hatchy I would recommend putting it in a click clack to start with (the largest of the sistema you can buy in the supermarket). Young snakes (all really) are great escape artists and this is very secure, plus is not overwhelming for the snake in size. I line mine with newspaper, put a heat mat under about a third of it and either use a small hide or a toilet roll, one either end. Very often they go under the newspaper to hide. I put the water bowl up the cool end. I also put a piece of dowel across the click clack. Use a soldering iron to put ventilation in the lid and around the sides. There is a thread on here somewhere on how to set a click clack up. They can stay in here for around 1 year, before moving into an enclosure. Kitty's crumble is another good substrate.

I would leave for about one week before feeding, to let the snake settle in.

Have fun with your new snake

I have actually fed all my snakes the day of or after bringing home and have never had a trouble with them not eating. My 2nd Stimson was apparently a problem feeder but the first pinky I gave her she smashed so quick have never had a problem since. Also with handling iv never left it a week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back