Who would (or wouldn't) like to see this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Supplies

Reaction score
I'm soooo angry with myself now...

I had a photo of a dead snake in a pet shop, I had it for a while... but I deleted it a few weeks ago as my phone memory was full.

Just yesterday my partner went into the same pet shop, and took a photo of what is mould in one of the snake tanks.

I have never been happy with the set up of these tanks, and when I was there the first time, I asked questions on the size of the tanks (seemed a bit small) the humidity of the tanks (dripping in some cases) and the heating of the tanks.

Well the heating turned out to be okay (in theroy)

I asked about all the water, answer... the humidity was there to aid shedding, true, but it doesn't need to be wet.

and the size of tanks? His answer was they like small places, also true, though they need to get out of the heat if need be.

I left it as the guy obviously knew what he was doing :rolleyes: (im no expert, but I ain't a dumb ***)

The dead python was a black and gold jungle.
Maybe a few months old about 15-20cm

The photo I got sent has a snake tank with mould in it...

IMG_49691.jpg

If you live in Melb, you'll probably know the shop.

Last edited:
I would never buy a snake from a shop , they are always over priced or diseased or low end animals or all of the above ,
I was in a shop the other day having a look and they had standard run of the mill jungles for $900 talk about not letting go of the 80s.

Could you PM me the shop as we have had a few customers through our shop with similar reports, wondering if it is the same shop.

I could, but I don't really want to.
Melbournes a small place and there are not too many reptile shops there.

Too many people know each other... and word get out and spreads like wildfire.
I'd hate to get a reputation for being a bussiness killer.
Sorry.

As mentioned, people may know by the stickers they use, but I won't be naming them.

If you'd like, I can give a yes or no answer to a private message.

I would never buy a snake from a shop , they are always over priced or diseased or low end animals or all of the above ,
I was in a shop the other day having a look and they had standard run of the mill jungles for $900 talk about not letting go of the 80s.

Problem is, sometimes they are the only ones you can get them from.
I find it hard to get reptiles in Vic....

Probably a stupid question, but is there an authority like the RSPCA that could investigate them?

RSPCA- nah... they do nothing unless is furry.

DSE- I called them a while ago about a wildlife park in Phillip Isle.
I got a response about 6 months later saying they issued a warning/

RSPCA do nothing for furry animals either. We are in an ongoing battle with neighbours regarding their dogs and they never do anything.

Maybe since they've had a warning call again and re report it. Can't do any harm in trying.

Just a quick few q's. If the hatchies were only 15-20cm, how big an enclosure did they have? Being hatchie jungles, it wont hurt to keep them moist/humid. Had they fed before? 15-20 cm for a hatchie a few months old is pretty small! I keep my hatchies in tubs because i cant find tanks small enough:D. Word of advice, just because something is not pleasing to the eye, does'nt mean it's wrong:D. Have you kept hatchies before? P.S. where's the pic?

Last edited:
I thought pet shops were only allowed to sell entry level species, eg antaresia?

Pretty sure I wandered into the same shop on tuesday. There was an area with small glass enclosures where the hatchies were. When I say mould - I mean balls of the fluffy stuff. Pretty bad. in the larger enclosures some of the substrate had been in there a fair while with plenty of poo and you could tell the substrate had soaked up a fair amount of moisture.

Wouldn't say I was thrilled with the state of the enclosures..........but they did have 2 nice BHPs that were already sold though.

@Whyme

Hey, I can't find my lead to connect the phone to the computer.
If you're really that keen on seeing the photo, I'll send it to you via text message.

The small snakes in the tank were okay, but they had larger snakes...
Lets say, 60cm? I'll even go down as 50cm in tanks maybe a little bigger than my hand.
The black and gold jungle size was only an estimate, they took it away as soon as I said I think it's dead.

The snake photo I have with mould in it's tank is not a jungle.
Had they fed before? I don't know, even so...
why would they be selling a snake that had not fed for $500?
Pretty irresponsible.

Why are you jumping up and down?

The youngest I have had is and 8 month old Darwin.

Word of advice, just because something is not pleasing to the eye, does'nt mean it's wrong.
I understand this, but mould in a tank is... obviously too much moisture and not enough cleaning.

P.S- One person has guessed correctly... not naming names though.
P.P.S- 2 out of 2.

Just like this hey Ricochet?
IMG_49691.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Josh, not jumping up and down, just trying to get all the facts. I dont frequent pet shops, so I cant comment. Small tubs for hatchies i dont have a problem with, but unkept, dirty tubs I do. I wasn't having a shot at you, but if you dont ask you dont know:D If they're being kept in unsuitable conditions, good on ya for trying to do something:D Sorry if you took my first post the wrong way:D

Hey Josh, not jumping up and down, just trying to get all the facts. I dont frequent pet shops, so I cant comment. Small tubs for hatchies i dont have a problem with, but unkept, dirty tubs I do. I wasn't having a shot at you, but if you dont ask you dont know:D If they're being kept in unsuitable conditions, good on ya for trying to do something:D Sorry if you took my first post the wrong way:D

Meh, it's not you...
just a rough day.

RSPCA do nothing for furry animals either. .

haha i was going to say that but you beat me to it!
i dunno if its just in your area that the pet shops are bad...the place i got my boy from are great they keep their tanks clean and treat ALL their animals properly..my sister works there so i know for a fact that they are all looked after...the only down side i have with them is they dont handle their reptiles...at all...

but it definitely sucks to hear that about a poor animal :(

Interesting thought all round. I'm stumped as to who it may be. Like most I tend to make my own judgement of things but given we are all here for one common reason, you would think that if someone has a concern about a particular pet shop then it would have some merit. It's generally the level or extremity of how bad conditions are that can be exaggerated or understated in one's own opinion.

Businesses that operate like that should be given no second chance and should be made more accountable and scrutinised heavily by DSE and other relevant departments.

:evil:

I recently had a job interview at a place that sells pet stock (so food mostly food and no animals such as dogs and cats) and they had started selling reptiles. One reason they were interested in me was because I had experience in taking care of reptiles and had knowledge about them. They said that no one who works there has experience with them and didn't know much about them. I didn't end up getting the job, so I hope the poor snakes are getting proper care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back