Who would (or wouldn't) like to see this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just chucking it out there dude go to snakebytes on YouTube and have a look what all them snakes get keeped in ok www.youtube.com type (snakebytes) these snakes are looked after really well but r keeped in very small spaces :) .

Interesting thought all round. I'm stumped as to who it may be. Like most I tend to make my own judgement of things but given we are all here for one common reason, you would think that if someone has a concern about a particular pet shop then it would have some merit. It's generally the level or extremity of how bad conditions are that can be exaggerated or understated in one's own opinion.

Businesses that operate like that should be given no second chance and should be made more accountable and scrutinised heavily by DSE and other relevant departments.

:evil:

Yeah, I have had a couple of people guess the shop... so I am not the only one who feels this way about it.
Sent a photo to one person who wanted to see it.

As mentioned, I wasn't there to take the photo, my partner sent it to me.
She said it wasn't the only one, she said a few had shed skin in there (maybe fresh, maybe not) but also a few with mould growing. I just don't think that is acceptable at all.

Just chucking it out there dude go to snakebytes on YouTube and have a look what all them snakes get keeped in ok www.youtube.com type (snakebytes) these snakes are looked after really well but r keeped in very small spaces :) .

Difference is, they are kept in clean conditions...

So where the picture already?

The picture the picture...
Read my posts....

Can't find the cable to link my phone to the computer...
PM me your number if you want to see it and I'll text it to you.
Already did for one lucky person.
If that person is able to post it up quicker then, they are more than welcome.
My partner has a cable... I'll get it off her tonight.

scrap that, I found it

IMG_49691.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that it looks like not very healthy conditions. Maybe the shop lacks a bit of knowledge or staff to do the job (all gone to the mines)LOL. Maybe they would like to be pionted in the right direction by someone that knows, after all you would think that it is an integral part of thier business.
However not all pet shops are the same. I live in Qld & i must say that most petshops that i have visited (within a wide range) are very good, clean & have the apropriate knowledge & staff. Some pet shops i have visited are very professional & knowledgable about what they do.

I just hate it when people throw a blanket phrase over something. Tend to the problem at hand as not everyone or everthing is the same. I believe that pet shops do have a place in our society (good honest ones that is) as it enables people to browse & ask questions & gain knowledge & advise on particular subjects & talk to people face to face. Not everyone likes internet shopping & little Johny looking at a pet shop can make a more apropriate decision on what he might want as a pet.

& no i don't own a pet shop.

Cheers
Ian

Ian, yeah I agree... I like pet shops... I can never go past oe without looking.

I will say a few years ago I went into this one and there was a guy there, very helpful, honest and seemed to know what he was talking about.

Haven't seen him again.

Since then, they have made these tiny litte crap home for heaps of snakes...
I'll try get some more photos, unless they see this and change it.

Ian, yeah I agree... I like pet shops... I can never go past oe without looking.

I will say a few years ago I went into this one and there was a guy there, very helpful, honest and seemed to know what he was talking about.

Haven't seen him again.

Since then, they have made these tiny litte crap home for heaps of snakes...
I'll try get some more photos, unless they see this and change it.

Mate maybe you could help them by telling them your concerns & pionting them in the right diection. I am sure that they would like to know that people are not happy with that type of conditions or at least for the snakes & thier moneys benefit.
Maybe you could get a part time job there LOL.

Cheers
Ian

Hey guys - I can tell you now that Josh isn't exagerating. It was the same shop I walked in to on Tuesday. Much to my relief there was already another bloke giving the shop staff a fair "rundown" on their dodgy practices. I just stood by and watched with a smirk on face while he gave constructive advice and critiscism. This guy certainly seemed to know what he was talking about, so Me being on my L plates just shut up and listened.

To the shop staffs credit they appeared to be listening (maybe cos there were other customersin the shop). Let's just hope the conditions improve.

Mate maybe you could help them by telling them your concerns & pionting them in the right diection. I am sure that they would like to know that people are not happy with that type of conditions or at least for the snakes & thier moneys benefit.
Maybe you could get a part time job there LOL.

Cheers
Ian

I tried,

I asked about all the water, answer... the humidity was there to aid shedding, true, but it doesn't need to be wet and the size of tanks? His answer was they like small places, also true, though they need to get out of the heat if need be.

I left it as the guy obviously knew what he was doing :rolleyes:

That was in my original post.

I find some pet shops, just seem to know it all.
I was in one who said jungles are bigger than coastals and that they grow to about 12ft.

I replied with no they dont, and that commonly they grow to about 5-6ft and they didn't believe me.
Probably because at the time I didn't have a licence.

OK Josh, at least you tried. yah i agree some people think they know it all but don't. Me included, I know a lot but not everything.LOL
cheers
Ian

Last edited:
This wouldnt happen to be the same pet shop that keeps their geckos in dimmly lit clear containers with no hides all day n night, you know the one Up from the Market?

OK Josh, at least you tried. yah i agree some people think they know it all but don't. Me included, I know a lot but not everything.LOL
cheers
Ian

Yeah, Ricochet said he seen someone putting his two bob in...
Hoopefully the listen.

This wouldnt happen to be the same pet shop that keeps their geckos in dimmly lit clear containers with no hides all day n night, you know the one Up from the Market?

I'm not sure about the geckos...
I don't have any and have not really looked into the keeping of them, so I cannot say I noticed anything bad as I don't know.

But as to your question, yes... it's the same.
Nice a subtle

Yeh im only new to geckos myself but one of the first things I learnt from researching was that they should be kept in well lit room or have lighting to have a proper day/night cycle, someone correct me if im wrong.

Surely it can be to good for them to be kept in the dark 24/7 out in the open with nowhere to hide?

It doesnt surprise me much that was correct with the shop.

Pretty sure I wandered into the same shop on tuesday. There was an area with small glass enclosures where the hatchies were. When I say mould - I mean balls of the fluffy stuff. Pretty bad. in the larger enclosures some of the substrate had been in there a fair while with plenty of poo and you could tell the substrate had soaked up a fair amount of moisture.

Wouldn't say I was thrilled with the state of the enclosures..........but they did have 2 nice BHPs that were already sold though.

I know this pet store too. I'm glad those 2 BHPs sold...my boyfriend thought it was one giant snake haha. I don't like the mould that's just lazy and unnacceptable but there's a couple of snake lovers who work there part time so Im a bit surprised at this, maybe they should give those guys full time work.

i tried,

i find some pet shops, just seem to know it all.
I was in one who said jungles are bigger than coastals and that they grow to about 12ft.

that is the funniest thing ive heard today

I just sent them a nice email josh, I will let you know the response if i get one.
But by the looks of thier website they are a big concern, which concerns me if they are indeed neglecting thier reptiles. Not good for a large store.

Anyway i will keep you posted.

Cheers
Ian

Mate i also just now, made a phone call personally to the store & spoke to Shaun, he told me that the manager is away for a few days but i asked him to make sure that the manager is aware of my email.
I told Shaun that it had come to my attention that the reptiles in the store where being housed in adverse conditions with mould in the enclosures & that a snake had died in one.
He told me that from what he is aware of the snakes are housed fine & no mould etc & that they had not had a death for some time.
I asked him to make sure that the manager was aware of the email & concerns that i had input.

Apart from walking into the store which i cannot do at present, there is not much more that i can do.
Cheers
Ian

To the manager or who it may concern,

It has come to my attention in most recent days that visitors to your pet shop have observed unhygienic conditions for some of your reptiles.
Namely enclosures with excess moisture causing large amounts of mould build up & in one case a dead snake.

I would find this out of the normal for a respectable pet store.
Please don’t get me wrong, I believe that pet stores have an obligation & are an integral part of our community.
Little Johny & mum & dad can learn a lot from a genuine pet store & go home with a prised product. They can talk face to face with understanding store handlers & get a better idea of the pet that they might like with follow up support. There is many great pet stores nation wide that i respect & take my hat off to for the job that they do.
However it is alarming to me that you might be neglecting your duties as reptile sellers to present & provide customers with best quality reptiles.
I would hope that you can look at this situation & rectify ASAP.

Regards
Ian Davidson

I am just trying to help do my best for the Davo's reptile & animal liberation of Australia. I don't give a rats to who i offend is my motto, just do the right thing.

Cheers
Ian

If you would like to contribute to the Davo's reptile & animal liberation of Australia please forward your donations to my personal account & i will distribute funds as i deem nescesary from there. Worth a try LOL.

Thank you all.
Ian

Last edited:
Wow, that's good thanks mate.

I wonder if Shaun has seen or want's to see the photo I was sent.
It's sad to think that if he truely thinks that they are housed fine, and there is no mould... how much he realy cares/knows about the animals in them. It's not like the mould was hiding.

Hopefully somthing can be done, Cheers Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back