corn snakes in qld

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe because we have a heap of migratory birds that have travelled into and out of australia since birds started flying, reptiles and a lot of other animals have a lot harder time crossing oceans :p
that, and our reptiles have no known natural virus's, the two we have now, were both imported and are now in wild populations due to escapes and dumping.
I'm sure that there are other reasons too.

Funny how no one had a problem with the 'Show us your exotic birds' thread :) A lot of people on here seem to have double standards.

Same goes with fish... I heard recently that the tilapia found around Mackay to Cairns and everywhere in between are almost genetically identical meaning they came from just a few fish..

No known natural viruses? Are you serious?
Of course there are naturally occurring viruses and so far I don't believe anyone has proved that the viruses we have here that you mentioned above are imported. They are similar to, but not the same. From what I have read recently research seems to indicate they are home grown and whilst in the same group as the overseas examples are local not imported. Will see if I can find the more recent information I was reading. From memory by someone in Perth?

As for the birds. We probably have more feral bird species in Australia than any other animal. The list of exotic birds that have gone feral is huge and they have displaced many native species all around the country. To say that exotic birds are ok whilst reptiles aren't is ludicrous.

I am not a fan of exotics ,have no wish to keep any ( my kids and a dog are the only exotic species I have) and i dont think we should have any here, but I don't believe they are to blame for everything.

butters, nothing comes up in a search for these virus being native to Australia.
would you care to front up some documentation or research results backing your belief/statement?

Ophidio Paramyxovirus (OPMV) in Australian Reptile Collections. suggests around 2003 for the first official case of what was thought to be OPMV (which is now known as a different virus "sunshine")

finding information on this issue isn't easy, but thus far I haven't seen anything that suggests it's a native virus to Australia.

and specifically, I'm talking about deadly virus such as sunshine and OPMV

Honestly some peoples stupendous amount of ignorance in this thread amazes me. Before you make comments like "Oh, how are exotics different to snakes e have in Australia mer mer mer" GET A EDUCATION.

Clearly 1: You know jack crap about your animals if you have reps on this website
Clearly 2: You don't understand the first thing about the detrimental effect of introducing exotic species into the Australian environment, and how bloody hard it is mitigate peoples ******* UPS!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HCnfgnuiowhjnfwidushjk

READ A BOOK IF THAT'S THE ONLY THING YOU DO TO INFORM YOURSELVES.

Sorry If i sound mean... this is my life right here - keeping care of the Australian Environment and this topic drives me up the wall!

Funny how no one had a problem with the 'Show us your exotic birds' thread :) A lot of people on here seem to have double standards.

As far as protecting our environment goes, the current background extinction rate is 1000 times higher than it should be, we're raping our resources for the benefit of a few, we're ruining our water ways, destroying native habitats everywhere through clearing and fishing out the sea's at an unsustainable rate. I'm sorry to say it but the barn doors are open and the horses have fled. Good thing we're not allowed exotic reptiles though or we'd really be screwed ;)

So we should add another problem to the pile of ones that we already have? why not, the environment is already seriously suffering, so instead of removing some stressors or preventing more stressors let's just keep adding to that pile

OPMV is not known as sunshine virus. They are completely different.
OPMV is now known as Ferlavirus and so far I haven't been able to find any proof that it has been conclusively proven to be in Australia. Doesn't mean it's not there just that my research skills suck.

Most results come back as similar to or suspected to be with no one ( that i have found) being able to conclusively state that it has been opmv via testing.

I am sorry but I am very , very sceptical about anything coming from he who shall not be named. He also offers no proof that it is here and he is somewhat known for his conspiracy theory approach to everything.

it was actually on this forum that I first read about sunshine virus and that was the basis of my statement. But then you shouldn't always believe what you read on an Internet forum.

Isolation and molecular identification of ... [Infect Genet Evol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI is an abstract on sunshine virus.

I won't suggest that exotic opmv isn't here just that we now seem to be finding other viruses which give similar symptoms and would previously have been written off as opmv.

I am trying to keep an open mind about it.

I am open to the belief that some of what has happened may have been opmv. I would just like to see real proof.

I am also open to the idea that it could be local as we would be very naive to think there are no endemic viruses which could show the same symptoms.

I think perhaps you should go back and carefully read what I wrote, because it's painfully obvious you didn't.
lack of proof does not equal evidence.
as to your assertion
"we would be very naive to think there are no endemic viruses which could show the same symptoms"
I think you're being reactionary and alarmist to claim what we currently do know is in fact Australian, considering that it's only in very recent history that said virus has even shown up, people, zoos and researchers have been keeping and studying snakes for a LONG time in Australia, someone would have stumbled upon this sooner than mid 2000.

Hmmm just like a few cane toads won't hurt anyone
If it wasn't here in the first place p!ssem back off the where they come from, oh wait are we talking bout immigrants or animals still ;)

Exotics aren't bad there just doesn't need to be a place here for them

Skeptic that's a good point why is it ok for birds but reptiles mammels Ect aren't

Cane toads don't have much to do with the over and inappropriate use of the Guam situation. Just look at how the invasion biologists are handling the other exotic reptiles they are investigating. Bad science is bad science, whether it is used to good ends or no.

I think the most interesting point is still whether having other exotics has any bearing on whether, morally and legally, reptiles should be allowed. I don't think it means they should, myself, but it is hard to take all the chatter about the doom exotic reps will bring when we are over run by, to pick one, cats. A bit of consistency would help.

No lack of proof proves neither view and you also didn't read my post obviously because I said I am open minded about both scenarios.

Im sorry but I took your statement as being that the hoser outbreak which was thought to be opmv was in fact sunshine. I can find no links between the two to suggest this. I honestly believe that the hoser case was probably opmv but my belief means nothing. If you know of something which can tie the two together I would love to see it. Not in a bad way I would just be really interested is all.

I don't see it as being reactionary or alarmist i see it as keeping an open mind but hey each to his own view.

To date sunshine virus has only been found in Australia and as yet I don't think anyone has been able to confirm it came from anywhere else. The fact that so far it hasn't been found in wild populations doesn't prove or disprove either source.

i still think it more than possible that we have our own version of opmv. In the end it means little as the implications to captive collections is the same.
the implications to native populations though is actually better because if it is local then it means that all of our wild species are not at risk of a sudden mass die off. If they were there would be no snakes now and it means there is some mechanism or partial immunity that prevents this in wild populations. We can only hope.

I would much rather it be local as the prognosis for wild populations may be better than with an imported disease. In my view the better of two evils.

I agree in part. I don't think we should have any exotics. Birds, fish, cats, reptiles whatever but that's not living in a realistic world.

Doesn't mean I don't like them just don't think they should be here. I even have a problem in owning a dog.
Authorities don't make it any easier by not allowing many native species to be kept. People want pets. I just wish there were more Australian options.
My kids will never have a cat while they live under my roof and after showing them what was inside a feral cat they understand my convictions , hopefully will not own one as adults and at least if they do they wont be letting it outside.Won't change anything in the grand scheme of things but.

Last edited:
The only point I was trying to make is that it is hypocritical to allow exotic birds, mammals and fish to be kept and not reptiles. As far as I'm aware, it's only these exotic species that are exempt from licencing as well! :facepalm: If you regulate the trade and make all animals that come in for breeding purposes go through quarantine you eliminate the disease argument. You also reduce the number of animals being smuggled in. Make the animals a class 6 reptile as well, thereby restricting them to only the most experienced keepers. How many experienced keepers on here have lost a class 5 elapid?

Also Recharge, migratory birds aren't considered exotic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back