Swollen children's python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lux_06

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well we recently got a 5 year old children's python.

The snake is a dream to handle and all has been good for about 6 weeks.

In the last few days I have noticed the snake isn't interested in feeding, and has seemed to have swollen up around his neck, and seems a bit inactive and lacking strength.

His last meal was a week ago, I have had him out on the table to listen to his breathing, nothing stood out, he doesn't seem to be yawning excessively and there doesn't seem to be any mucus around his mouth.

Tank was cleaned out and sterilised when we set up a few weeks ago. He has a heat mat and lamp at one end and cold area the other end of the viv, it is glass but the snake has lived in it for its entire life.

Im unsure if it could be due for a shed? So have taken some pics to get your opinions.

Cheers guys

Adam

f8ed83dd.mp4

f2f763f7.jpg

d6ed7ec6.jpg

a39034d8.jpg

Last edited:
***. iv never seen that before. id take it to the vet to be honest. get a business card and open its mouth and look for discoloration as a sign of infection. and cuts under its chin???

Did grab the feeding tongs by mistake 2 feeds ago, did read someone mention that sort of thing could have damaged a tooth.... Not opposed to taking to the vet over the weekend at all, just didn't want to jump the gun if its something normal....

Not normal. My snakes will do that after a feed if the food had a lot of water on it. But if it's lasted a while, it could very well be an infection (of the tooth, as you say) or an RI. Vet me thinks =)

I have never seen that either, almost looks like a Arufura file snake:shock:

I would be taking him to the vet ASAP.

I watched him drinking 2 days ago and looked fine, then noticed he hadn't moved around much since and didn't want to eat so got him out and got rather more concerned! Vet appt to book in the morning then!

Got into snakes cos my coral reefs tanks were to hard to keep the fish healthy lol! Nothing like learning from the deep end!,

Cheers guys, really appreciate it.

Adam

I had one that used to puff up that much when she was going to shed. I could compress it a little and push the air out and she would look normal again.

yeh, does her skin look like she is due for a shed? she is pearly looking to me, but im still a noob.

she is spending her time out in the open, on the warm spot, her hide is also on the warm spot but shes not going in there..

looking for a close by vet now, my dad fell off a ladder and broke his back yesterday, he usualy runs my shop on saturdays for me, so the slacker has got outof that shift!! haha... might have to put the closed due to "family" emergency sign up this arvo!!!

Wow I've also never seen that happen before. Didn't see any tongue flicking in your video. Mine always go nuts 'scenting' the air when they're out.
Would love to know how you went at the vet this morning and hope that it's good news.

ok vet has sent a swab off to pathology, got some meds for it, definate mouth infection, quite red inside, right hand side is noticeably swolen when u open her mouth up. our guess is damaged a tooth or something when she got the tongs instead of the mouse...

bill so far = twice the cost of a new one LOL!!!

was just a joke! ive spent thousands looking after my reef fish before i decided i needed a simpler hobby!! laughing to myself at the fact things still go wrong!!!

too see how the vet handled her and not even the slightest hint of a strike was amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back