Do you know your GTP localities?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanN

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have some spare time on my hands so I thought I'd run a little experiment.

Here are six photos of green pythons. Can you correctly identify their locality and provide a justification? Who cares if you think you might be wrong - have a go, it's just for fun.

No clues sorry.. except that none of them are crosses etc.

IMG_2057.JPGIMG_9282.jpg100.jpgIMG_6485.JPGIMG_2483.JPGIMG_9151.jpg

I shouldn't expose my lack of knowledge (and justification) but what the hell.

1/ Aru / Yapen
2/ Sorong / Lereh
3/ Lereh / Sorong
4/ Could be anythin - Southern PNG
5/ Qld
6/ ?? Aru ?

Last edited:
Sorry, to avoid any confusion, they are from very broad localities. I.e., not specifics like Yapen (southern New Guinea, Australia, etc). I also would be keen to hear any justification for answers :)

1. Wamena (guess) Possible Biak around head
2.Sarong (Blue triangles and colouring)
3.Wamena(young colouring)
4.Aru (guess, cannot see belly)
5.Aussie (head shape and colour)
6.Aru Blue spots
Either way good post and please tell us why what their locale is and the difference between each and variance that may occur?

Aru, Merauke, Wamena, Jayapura (?), Australia, Aru.....

Sorry, to avoid any confusion, they are from very broad localities. I.e., not specifics like Yapen (southern New Guinea, Australia, etc). I also would be keen to hear any justification for answers :)

So you want hybidid justification mutts?

Hi Jeffa. They are all wild animals. I.e., no inter-bred localities/hybrids. I will provide the answers tomorrow night.

No.5 - Cape York - yellow scales amongst white ones, head shape and typical remains of brown juvenile markings turned blue.
The rest ???

Last edited:
Not specifics like Aussies? ***? How about
1.Irian jaya
2.Irian jaya
3.Irian jaya
4.Irian jaya
5.Irian jaya
6.Irian Jaya

Reason I do not know what the broadness of localities entails?
No Aussies, no southern PnG?
Chondro Virides? What do I win?

Sorry for the confusion Jeffa - that was my bad English! What I meant was there are no very specific local animals like Yapens - the snakes pictured are from broad locals like southern New Guinea and Australia.

Dan, I think I know what you're getting at - specific morphological characters that differentiate GTPs from different localities. I am not sure what kind of answers are you expecting other than north / south PNG, Indo, CY even that would be pretty impossible. Me think LOL
When you ask for "localities", on what scale?

Hi Michael,

I am not looking for any answer in particular. Neither do I expect people to know micro-localities :) I am interested to see peoples views on the "localities" of the individuals pictured based upon the known stereotypes for green pythons. This includes the typical locals like Merauke, Sorong, Lereh, Jayapura, Wamena, Biak, Aru, Aussie, etc that appear in books by Maxwell and Kivit and Wiseman.

It's really just for fun and to see some cool critters ;)

I'll have a go-

1- Aru island - higher white scattered scales over its green.

2- Northern Irian Jaya - this one is very tough though! Usually associate higher blue with the Northern types (Sorong, Jayapura) but its usually a stronger vertebral marking not just blue bars. And theres plenty of white there too (which makes me think Southern)

3- Highlands/Central mainland of West Papua/PNG - Looks like blue vertibral markings but not as bold as the Sorong types. However the green seems limey(er) than a typical Wamena type

4- Southern PNG - Merauke. White vertebral line but its green is slightly darker than Aussie types (could well be Aussie though)

5- Aussie - white vertebral line, lime green. Young animal still showing lots of blue.

6- Southern PNG - Again higher white vertebral markings but a darker green

Theres plenty of variation in these critters that I could be way off!!
Thanks for sharing Dan, look forward to the answers.

Andrew

I classed two as 'Aru' types due to the clustering of white scales along the dorsal line - as opposed to the typical singular white scale patterns that appear in other locales (e.g. Aussies are known for their white 'stripe' type marking). I classed the 'Wamena' as such due to the dark(ish) patterning down the spine...

I'm no expert, these were my guesses. They are beautiful animals regardless of heritage.

Thanks for all your answers. There are actually only two localities represented here - Australia and southern New Guinea ("Merauke"). Any guesses which is which? :)

Thanks for all your answers. There are actually only two localities represented here - Australia and southern New Guinea ("Merauke"). Any guesses which is which? :)

idk much about GTP's but im gonna guess that pic 3 and 5 are aussie and the rest are merauke :) im going off the colour differences lol i really have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back