Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChondroCharm

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this up as I did allot of searching and couldn't find a whole lot of info.

I have a yearning gtp around 14 months old named squirt. I noticed black spots appearing which as I first expected turned out to be mites. I did research on ways to get rid of them and didn't like some of the home remedy ideas so went to the local reptile shop and got a mite spray.

The shop owner suggested CALLINGTON SNAKE MITE SPRAY which the active ingredient is D-PHENOTHRIN 20:80 which is a synthetic
PYRETHRIOD which to my knowledge of searching and the owner is harmless to snakes.

Now I'm not bagging the spray or the shop owner because the mites did die and that's no longer a problem.

The problem is that I followed all instructions, took great care as I'm sceptical about spraying pesticide on my snake. Left everything to the allocated times and after 24 hrs squirt was on the floor unable to get to its perch, breathing poorly, unable to flick its tongue and a slight shake when lifting its head.

I immediatly thought toxcicity from the spray and washed squirt and the enclosure thoroughly. After another 12 hrs food was regurgitated and that was too much. I got in contact with josh llinas of green cross vet who was very helpful but as I could not get into him couldnt give a deffinate answer.

I ended up going to animal emergency clinic at Underwood and they got in contact with Deborah monk's of BBEVS and it was confirmed that it was toxicity.

They informed me that although it said non toxic small and young snakes are affected much more then a grown snake and they will be poisoned. Squirt was given fluids for dehydration and is expected to recover fine.

Just a warning story that i thought of share as if I knew this info perhaps this situation could have been avoided.

Its a shame that someone has to go through something like this so that people (hopefully) realize the hidden dangers in things like this and that caution should always be taken.
Appreciate you sharing the story and its great to hear everything is going to be fine.

I have had a mate have lot of problems with a certain mite spray, resulting in the death of a tawny frog mouth, a wallaby, 3 pet birds and several other animals (was a wild life carrer)

Be careful with what products you use

This should also serve as a warning to all those people who unneccesarily treat animals prophylaxticly when there is no confirmed disease or need for treatment.

Fairly sure Callington Snake Mite Spray is TOD just relabeled as mite spray which is the spray they use on aircrafts.

Fairly sure Callington Snake Mite Spray is TOD just relabeled as mite spray which is the spray they use on aircrafts.

Sounds fantastic!

in all seriousness it is such a horrible traumatic experience for keepers and I'm glad your snake is expected to recover well. Will steer clear of the stuff if mite spray is needed in the future. Thanks for letting us all know. The more knowledge keepers have, the less problems will arise.

i've always used callingtons TOD witout any problems, however i never sprayed juviniles... what else can be used without toxicity issues? I sure dont want my animals poisoned.

Sounds fantastic!

in all seriousness it is such a horrible traumatic experience for keepers and I'm glad your snake is expected to recover well. Will steer clear of the stuff if mite spray is needed in the future. Thanks for letting us all know. The more knowledge keepers have, the less problems will arise.

It is used quite extensively in collections with mite problems.Over the years I have heard of a few snakes being poisoned by the stuff.Far more people that have used it have had no issues.Personally I haven't ever used it as I have never had the need.

It's good that the OP posted his experience with the stuff as it highlights the potential risks involved.

So glad to hear he's recovering :) I've never trusted mite sprays and I don't think I ever will....hopefully I'll be able to keep my collection 100% mite free!

Thanks for the warning, you have probably saved heaps of snakes from poisoning just by posting the product name :)

I used MAC MITE from the local shop when my BHP had mites and it cleared the whole thing up and shes never been happyier

vet said for large snakes its harmless. The fact it's small is the reason for the poisoning. The directions on the spray are assumed for an adult snake and the basis is on surface area not species or age or size. That's what the vet explained.

He also mentioned Deborah monk's at BBEVS has a care sheet for treating mites on young and small snakes available which I will go and get and post up her recommendations one a receive them

EDIT: the above info is only applicable to callington. I haven't used other brands so I won't comment on them as a whole.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Squirt is ok!! That must have been so scary seeing your beloved snake struggling like that. So happy he's alright!

I'm so glad Squirt is ok!! That must have been so scary seeing your beloved snake struggling like that. So happy he's alright!
It was. Up all Saturday and Sunday checking him hourly and giving warm baths to wash the toxin and try to keep hydrated while I waited for a vet to be available

The dose makes the poison.

Smaller snakes, like smaller humans, need smaller doses, and since mite sprays are a preset dose it's not overly surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back