Water-proofing Timber

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi all

I posted in another area and got no answer. Then realised it should be under DIY. Any thoughts on water-proofing the bottom of a timber cabinet against general spills, etc? Is there something I can paint on?

Thanks,
Mark.

Yeah mate there's plenty of stuff you can use. I'm a personal fan of pond sealer. You can get it in all different colours and the thicker ones only need a couple of coats. Others prefer enamel as well. I've seen marine grade ones at Bunnings but, if memory serves me correctly, pretty much any will do.

i just made an enclosure out of pine frame with all plywood sides except the front used cabots stain and sealer on the lot and its taking a little while to air out but once is done it should be good , the thing i am now going to do on any more i make is use a melamine floor so i dont have to bother with pond sealer , you will only notice that its white when their is no substrate in it

Pond sealer is the go. Works great and i personally like the finish it gives.

i just made an enclosure out of pine frame with all plywood sides except the front used cabots stain and sealer on the lot and its taking a little while to air out but once is done it should be good , the thing i am now going to do on any more i make is use a melamine floor so i dont have to bother with pond sealer , you will only notice that its white when their is no substrate in it

You can get mellomine in white, off white, black and fake woodgrain from bunnies;)

well it might just have to be wood grain if i can find it , i just figure the floor is going to cop most of the mess and melamine is so easy to clean compared to stained and sealed wood even once it sealed although the pond sealer did work well but i only used it on the floor and the background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back