Do you know your GTP localities?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin are they shopped? If not that whitish one is stunning

not my pic or gtp's but Im sure the pic is definitely not shopped scott.

Both canarys gtps. The white one is a hormonal female and the yellow is her stud.

your probably right ryan, you'd know more about gtp's than myself. It was a pic I saw posted on Facebook and initially thought that the white/blue one could have been descendants of the greg schroeder "snow cone" line that's shown on rico walder's website.

what about these?

The one of the right is from Canary Islands, the one on left from moon. Have I got it right?

Both canarys gtps. The white one is a hormonal female and the yellow is her stud.

I disagree, I reckon these guys are from the Lemon Tree line in the states. Check Maxwells book, page 94, I think they're even the same animals pictured there

Lemon Tree pic credited to Greg Schroeder, so I reckon your right Colin

Last edited:
I agree that the predominantly white dam and high yellow specimens posted by Colin are almost certainly the same individuals depicted on Pg.94 of Maxwell's book. They are 'Lemon Tree' bloodline, which are designer morphs, so they are not locality pure. According to Maxwell, the original founder male of this line was bred by Doug Price "from clutches produced by breeding some wild caught adults that were reported to be PNG in origin."
These chondros are selectively bred colour morphs and as such cannot be considered locality GTP.

Can anyone guess the locality type of these wild specimens?

7518221012_a689928e6e_b.jpg

7518277052_9741780e16_b.jpg

7518225496_bdc85b4684_b.jpg

7518278350_92d266b53e_b.jpg

Last edited:
No way. Those blue triangles are not on Aussies. Also the tip of the tail in the 3rd pic. Southern PNG.

Kamiali, PNG
Spot on Dan! I didn't think that anyone would even guess the region, let alone the actual village! I'm very impressed. 8)
Most people would understandably place them in the vicinity of Merauke but they were found over 700 km from Merauke. The strong white vertebral stripe looks similar to Aussies, so not a bad guess Yommy; however, as Michael rightly points out, the strength and persistence of blue dorsal patches doesn't usually persist into adulthood in Aussies.
According to the generally well accepted criteria, as described in most texts, these would fit best into the Merauke type. I would have guessed Merauke or southern PNG like you Michael, if I hadn't already known where these specimens were found.
Not only were these animals a long way from Merauke, but they were found on the northern side of the main dividing range, which is thought to effectively separate the northern and southern clades.

Last edited:
Hi all

Whilst we're on the topic, what are ur thoughts on these two.

Thank you

Last edited:
pictures are up
what are your thoughts of locality?
image.jpg
image1.jpg

Last edited:
Kalimantan (or one of the many Indonesian snake farms). :shock:

Hmm i know it's hard to tell off a photo, but they look identical to the merauke photos in Greg maxwells book "the more complete chondro" although the only difference is that they do not have the white scales all in a row down their back. Maxwells book explains that within the merauke race, breeding over time the some pythons of merauke race have had less and less scales down their back. So I am lead to believe they are of merauke race or somewhere close to that but once again am interested on what everyone else thinks?

Kalimantan (or one of the many Indonesian snake farms). :shock:

There are no green pythons farms in Kalimantan - despite Longqi's assertions :)

The two snakes have southern blood in them (i.e., Merauke, Aru or AU), but that doesn't mean they're not crossed with something northern. PrecisionPythons quite rightly points out that they have lost their white scales - which occurs in all "locals", and these particular animals certainly look like they're multiple generation captive-bred.

Thx all for input :) I guess we will never know exactly their locality.
Green tree pythons it is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back