bhp pain?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katjase

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys if this is a stupid question im sorry but i have to find out somehow.

i have a female bhp i have had her with a male to breed, its my first season .they are appart now and have been for a little while and i am guessing she is gravid, she is laying on her side under her ceramic heat emitter, she seems very healthy. temps are normal she has pleanty of room to move about and if you can say happy i guess she is,
so the question,
dose it cause pythons any pain at all to move eggs around there body if it is even what they do. just that my girl seems to be acting a little strange, she is just doing strange movements with her jaw, to explain it would be like us shivering so much our jaw chatters, but she has only done it for 10 seconds or so twice, untill i disturbed her. she has never done this before so i am a little bit worried. shes fine at the moment curled up, so would it be a pain response or just a twitch she has devaloped.

im sorry for the way i have asked this question if its not understandable i have a disability and my partner isnt hear to help me write100_0553.jpg

No need to apologise you are perfectly clear.... :)

From my understanding the shivering is perfectly normal Gravid python Behaviour....

I have never been gravid nor pregnant for that mater & the snakes can't tell us, but seriously, it is normal behavour & i guess that there would be some discomfort to the female & that is why they lay on there side just like a pregnant mum.
You have done a great job to get them this far, now just watch for the pre-lay shed & then you can tell from that how many days till she lays the the eggs. Once the female has had a pre-lay shed it will be aprox 25 to 30 days after that she will lay the eggs.

Cheers
Ian

its normal and i beleive its to elevate there body temp if she is directly under the heat lamp raise your temp a couple of degrees. the shiver is muscle contraction and is designed to make a s mall amount of heat in her muscles and then transfers it to her eggs just like they do after they lay them if you maternal incubate. congrats and show us some pics in a few months time

katjase, you must have put them together very early in the piece to have her that gravid now. I am guessing that you put male with female end of April or early May? I have a female here that i reckon is gravid but not that far advanced & were put together with some good action early June. Anyway good luck.

Cheers
Ian

Looks like it has advanced ova ,probably go on to ovulate in coming weeks,its after that they go inverted at times.
Ide say they experience discomfort and some pain at times possibly,havent seen mine do the mouth shivering thing, but i havent seen any of the gravid females ovulate this season,you have to be looking.

hi all thank's all for helping jase out he was worried about his python untill i told him what you all said.
he struggles a bit with writing and comprehension and thank-you all for being so nice to him. he is so happy that everything is ok. he worries alot with this being the first time he has done this, so thank-you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back