Big old CCP bad shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animal805

Reaction score
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
I have a 10 year old CCP and always sheds full skins no dramas, but today, which in itself is unusual as he normally sheds over night, he has had a shocker With the aid of a warm bath we hve managed to get the retained skin off his body and tail but he still has an eye cap and some patchy skin on his head. I am unsure of what to do next as far as the eye cap etc, should we try to remove it gently, leave him to his own devices for a while longer or what? He appears to be tired and worn out from all the rubbing.

Any one please

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
any loose shed just give it a rub sometime just will peel off, not sure about eye though but i have scrub that will have a bad shed every now and then and most time it falls off with a rough rub

Eye cap warm water and a bit of masking tape ove its eye gentle peel it of slowly should come of.

I agree about not leaving the eyecap on..... I had one of my regular good shedder's have a wicked nasty shed recently, I put it down to not as much humidity in the air(being winter) and the the fact he is not drinking as much as usual(winter too I think)I have been giving him rats quickly dunked in warm water(thawed frozen of course lol) and making sure there is a water bowl on his heat tile too. He has since been shedding well again. What I am doing may have no bearing at all? however he is not retaining any part of his sheds now and that is the main thing :)

I hold the head and GENTLY, with a cotton bud just keep dipping it in tepid water and go back towards the neck. Can take a while. just keep doing it and it eventually comes off. Key here is to do it very GENTLY. NEVER just pull the eye cap off.

Thank you all for your help, when I checked on him late this arvo he had gone in to his log but I did find an eye cap/scale on his log. Will check on him in the AM when he is out for his morning bask.

Moose had a bad shed once and to remove all of his head shed and check for eye caps I gently (while panicking) held his head (while he wrapped around my arm and pee'd on me) and used a wet facewasher to gently drag over his head (I was afraid to use more pressure to rub as he was only about 8 months old at the time and I didn't want to hurt him) and that did the trick!

Though FOR SURE that he's bite me when I let his head go but he was quite calm once he figured out that I was not going to hurt him.

For a larger, stronger snake, I would get 1-2 wet towels and pop them into a tub with the Coastal and pop a lid on, wriggling around in that should loosen any retained shed I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back