should i bother removing this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happynagini

Reaction score
this is my millionth post about my BHP shed i swear. its so annoying

all the skin is finally removed accept for this part. when i try to remove it he moves his head around heaps and it looks like its hurting him because it lifts up the scale underneath

he has things to rub on and has moved a bit off himself, but its still remaining

will it really matter if it stays on?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-19 at 7.18.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-08-19 at 7.18.08 PM.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
ive never had a problem with my bhp's shedding (touch wood) i think it needs to come off, ive heard a warm soak in the bath helps, or raise the humidity in there enclosure, sorry just regurgatating what i have read on aps.

Let him squirm around in a damp pillow case for a few hours

okay i will go ahead and say that for 9 days i bathed him everyday, did the pillowcase, none of that really did anything to help him remove it himself so i ended up picking it all off with my nails

now this is left, should i just leave it? because bathing/soaking/pillowcase/towels etc hasnt done anything

would it come off with the next feed or if its not bothering it maby the next slough

Snake in wet pillow case, placed on top of heat mat of no more than about 30 degree's place a hide box over it and leave it for 24 hours if you have to, check the pillowcase after a few hours to make sure its still damp, never failed for me. After a day or overnight you should be able to gently peel the remaining skin off if it hasn't come off itself. It this does fail, its a small piece I'd leave it and it should come off nect time.

You don't need to worry about that.
Next time it goes into a shed put a large water bowl in the warm end of the enclosure and close most of the vents.
If a snake doesn't have a good full shed it is because the environment is a bit dry.
raise the humidity, bhps come from across the top of Aus.

it will come of with the next slough the spectacle or the tail where it may cause constriction are when you need to worry.

okay thanks ill just leave it for next shed. when i bought this snake it was already beginning to slough in patches so not my fault lol
ive never had a bad shed til i got this stupid thing!

okay thanks ill just leave it for next shed. when i bought this snake it was already beginning to slough in patches so not my fault lol
ive never had a bad shed til i got this stupid thing!

A bad shed is symptomatic of another problem. Does the animal have scar tissue? Other than that, the usual reason for a bad shed is insufficient moisture. This could mean your snake is not drinking enough. If this is possibly the case, try refreshing its water bowl more frequently. Pythons will not drink water that has stood for more than a day. It could also be related to environmental humidity levels. If the environment is too dry then the animal will lose more water than it should just by breathing. So check that out. Humidity in an enclosure can be increased by a larger surface area water bowl, placing the water bowl over/under the heating, reducing the amount of ventilation by simply covering a percentage of it, or a combination of all three. Excessively large hides can also lead to water loss in a low humidity environment. A ‘cosy’ hide allows humidity from exhaled air to remained trapped within the hide and thereby reduce further significant water loss through exhalation.

Shedding is started by a snake rubbing its mouth on a surface sufficiently abrasive enough to break the loose skin free at the lips. This has clearly not happened in your case. I imagine you have supplied an adequate object, so it would indicate a problem with the level of hydration within the snake, as the skin around the lips is usually the easiest to come off.

With respect to using wet pillow slip, I think they are probably too smooth. I would suggest a calico cloth bag or even canvas, as they have a coarse texture which is what you need. They need to be thoroughly wet but not quite dripping. If the bag is dry by morning, it was not wet enough. It needs to be warm enough for the snake to be active. This is where a covered aquarium can be handy to put it in.

Blue

...Pythons will not drink water that has stood for more than a day...

I've seen mine drinking lots of water after it stood there for 3 and 4 days (just after we arrived from short break):)

The same in the wild... seen drinking from small puddles that water was yellow/brown. Who knows how long ago had rain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back