Checking rat size is alright for my carpet python... [PIC]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capital

Reaction score
He just started on rats with fur and I just wanted to make sure this sort of stretch was alright.
Looks incredibly uncomfortable and since this is my first python I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 2012-09-16 19.05.17 (800x599).jpg
    2012-09-16 19.05.17 (800x599).jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 239
Hmm, I am no expert but from what I have read is that if the food is about the size of the mid section of the python it should be good, and if there is no lump anymore with the food you have been giving it is time to go bigger.

I am not sure if I am right, so if there is anybody who thinks this is wrong please let me know.

That rat looks fine, if its too big more then likely it won't take it/shallow it, Snakes can take alot larger meals then many newbies give them credit for. But as a guideline, I use the weight method, every month or so I weight my snakes and feed a rat about 20% of their bodyweight

looks fine to me. I wouldnt stress too much about getting him to take it head first....they can work it out :)

To me that looks like a perfect sized rat for the time being

Yeah I agree, Carpets can take larger meals than some snakes without any issues, I read that they can take up to twice their body thickness at its widest point.

Im not sure if this is true or not, but sometimes i have noticed my childrens python struggle because the legs are sticking out and they stuck out of the sides of his mouth, he was stuck for about 15 mins trying to get past, it has happend a few times so ever since i have offerd it head first and he hasnt had that problem.

Im not sure if this is true or not, but sometimes i have noticed my childrens python struggle because the legs are sticking out and they stuck out of the sides of his mouth, he was stuck for about 15 mins trying to get past, it has happend a few times so ever since i have offerd it head first and he hasnt had that problem.

I have noticed my woma sometimes tries to eat his food backwards and gets stuck on the legs. He will eventually work it out, I usually leave him be for an hour and then check how he has gone.

lol if that's too much stretch then i must be doing something seriously wrong... my girl is eating one this size weekly:

KLP8q.jpg

Nothing like to large a meal to cause a bit of prolapse either....:rolleyes:

Nothing like to large a meal to cause a bit of prolapse either....:rolleyes:

If you are going to upsize, I'd only go one size more than you are doing. I generally watch little snakes eat. If it seems they are inhaling them with very little effort I will upsize. It's ok that it leaves a bulge in their gut, it will go down over a few days. If you think you've given them too large a rat and they still ate it, don't panick. Just make sure he has access to proper warmth and cool drinking water, and downsize next time.

Exactly. I think people get carried away with giving massive meals.

I have heard that its best for them to take it head first as the claws and hair dont scratch but that only what i was told...

I have heard that its best for them to take it head first as the claws and hair dont scratch but that only what i was told...

Snakes have doing their thing for millions of years, i'm sure they can work it out, often young snakes will try eating from the wrong end but after a few attempts eventually work out what works best

I'm guilty of attempting to intervene when I think they have got it wrong. But with a reputible, knowledgable person beside me when I was trying to get my first snake to eat, did wonders for my confidence. They don't need us to poke the legs into their mouth for them, they don't need us to take their food off them to get it the right way round. They don't care if they take half hour to eat their kill. They will work it out.

I'm guilty of attempting to intervene when I think they have got it wrong. But with a reputible, knowledgable person beside me when I was trying to get my first snake to eat, did wonders for my confidence. They don't need us to poke the legs into their mouth for them, they don't need us to take their food off them to get it the right way round. They don't care if they take half hour to eat their kill. They will work it out.
I've taught all mine (except the stimi's cause they're too dumb) to use chop sticks. It means they get it right everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back