Setting up Water Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This probably sounds a little bizarre but I want to make a water feature in my garden for my resident water dragon. I haven't seen him yet this season :( but last season he is always on my front veranda. He'd run off into a garden I have nearby, which is where I want to put a pool for him.

Basically, all I want to know is, will he mind if I had a small fountain or do water dragons prefer still water? I have a little solar powered fountain - it isn't overly strong but it might just be enough to ripple the surface of the water. Otherwise, I will leave it out and just add water plants and stuff to hide, to keep him happy.

I hope he comes back. He was a tiny baby when I first spotted him. He had grown somewhat over summer. He was starting to get use to us. We didn't try to go near him but we could get up our steps without him running away.
today003.jpg

Can you see him in this photo?
today007.jpg

That is where his pool is going. I have thinned out a lot of those plants but they grow so quickly, he will have all his hiding spots back in no time.

It's great when you have a resident reptile that you can watch. At my mums farm there is a bearded dragon that comes up to look for insects when my mums gardening and I mean like 10cm away from where she is digging :)

002-6.jpg

Done! My resident water dragons, frogs, blueys all have a pool to use. It is a very dry start to our warm season but fellas around my yard won't go thirsty :D

I have my little water thingy but at the moment can't find the fountain head. So it is just rippling the surface of the water.

Umbral that is awesome. I love having them in our yard, especially when they aren't afraid of us.

I'd suggest using the solar powered fountain just so that the water doesn't go stagnant & attract mozzies.
Also I'm not sure if reptiles can "smell" water but at least they won't mistake & be attracted to the sound of running water.

HE'S BACK :D

My little water dragon resident has re-appeared and has found his pond. I am now adding grass-clumping plants around it so there will be plenty of hiding spots for him. He still spends a lot of time on our veranda, and in this particular garden bed. He now has his own personal swimming hole, too.

061.jpg

063.jpg

Awesome! To answer your earlier question, they enjoy running water. Mine spend a lot of time sitting in running water in their waterfall.

I've seen similar to umbral, my uncle has a hobby farm, water dragons follow his tractor when he plows a particular patch of padlock, they grab worms, spiders etc as they are uncovered by the flow.

Water dragons will sit on the banks right along fast flowing water, and on rocks around water falls, so they definitely dont prefer still water. Although still water will be used for sleeping in during summer.

Thanks for that, Nick and mudge..... I have a solar powered fountain pump in the water, so on nice sunny days the fountain moves the water quite well. :) I spotted the dragon sitting on the rock in the water today. At another time he was on my front step and I managed to slowly sneak past him without him running away.

He has grown heaps :) Was only tiny last year. He is still little but more solid and bigger now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back