Newest addition to a small family

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourexes

Reaction score
I heard about a local 'nakey for sale on Friday and after inspection decided to purchase. Quite happy with him apart from what maybe the early stages of RI. Either way will have it sorted and have a great addition to my collection for many years to come.

Symptoms of RI became evident on Saturday, clicking every so often while breathing, puffy throat and later on I pulled his lower lip to have a look and sure enough there were a couple of bubbles. His thermal pits are also dark I've read this can be a symptom of RI but just thought it to be part of his colouration. Does anyone know how much truth is in this?

The fix has been to drop the humidity and increase the heat untill he sees the vet first thing tomorrow. In a giant tub with heat at 35 at hot end. Switched from kritters crumble to breeders choice and more than halved the humidity.

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 215
Thanks mate, I forgot to add:

It's an Eastern Small Blotched Python, is this the same as a Spotted can anyone tell me?

Cool snake :)
And yep they are one in the same. Just be sure to keep the new guy well away from any other snakes. As r.i is insanely contagiouse. So wash hands and use seperate equipment like feeding tongs to be safe.
pretty irresponsible of the seller to give you a snake thats getting or was already sick, but its probably in better hands.
Best of luck!

He's all good. Just got the snuffles more than an infection and he is on antibiotics to clear it up. The vet did actually comment on how healthy & strong he was other than the snuffles so that in itself is a credit to the previous owner. Gave him a feed last night and have barely seen him since so I'm guessing he's happy.

He looks to me like he's going to shed soon (very dull colouration). Many snakes have RI like symptoms, including all the ones you've listed, when coming close to a shed, so it could be the reason.

Beautiful snake either way :)

Thank you very muchly. The supplier informed me that he had just come out of a shed and he is actually pretty colourful, almost as much as my water python. Just poor quality photos, will definately get some better photos soon.

I hear they can also get a clicking noise after shedding due to a scale that might not have lifted properly near their nasal vent.

I'm also happy to report that after anti-biotics and a feed on Monday he seems right as rain today. Couldn't even hear any clickage.

Last edited:
Heres hoping, thanks everyone.

He went back in to the vet for a shot today and kindly waited until he got back to the front seat of my car and done one of the wettest dirtiest poos I have seen come from a reptile :shock: needless to say the pillowcase he was in didn't help much... Now I need to burn my seat covers and buy a solid bottom transport box...

Great spotted mate, and yeah physically looks in very good condition there aside from what you mentioned.
You'll find the drier you can keep your substrate, your humidity issues will become non-existent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back