vivarium basking light keeps blowing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dilsy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls

Have wired up my sand monitor viv (as some of you may know) got one 100w basking globe until my other fitting comes and can run 2 x50w but the one 100w has blown twice in the last couple of weeks. I've cut the earth off, wired up the 2 other wires (shouldn't matter which way around they go) and only getting a week or 2 life out of the globe. Any one know why this could be happening?

getting a 51° basking and a 23° at cool end for people that know me from before :)

cheers for your help

I started using flood light globes in my beardie enclosure, along with a dimming stat. Had the current one in there for 5 months. It's an 80w globe and achieve mid 40s-50's at basking site

Yeh that's what I'm using 100w flood globe 80% beam angle

Unless ur a electrian or qualified in similer trade, u shouldnt touch it, a light only needs the blue and brown wires, Live and neutral. Once ur wiring sorted change to non reptile brand globe and run a surge protector

not using a reptile brand globe just a phillips from woolies aswell. blue and brown yeh. dont have a surge protecter though might need to invest in one

No thermostat. Just a timer. Has got 3 globes plugged into one timer though maybe drawing to much power?

Another cheap, lower wattage option (which won't draw as much power) are halogen light globes which can be bought cheap from bunnings. These globes put out a heap of heat for such a low wattage (35W or so) and running two of them will easily reach the basking temps you need for your monitor (maybe even one). Some have a bayonet style fitting or others can be bought where the electrical wires are simply attached by soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back