Renting with reptiles in units

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most no pet policies are for pets that may damage or cause issues in the property eg barking, chewing, scratching etc. be straight up and I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem.

I don't rent tho so only take this as an opinion :)

there are alot of land lords that fear snakes escaping and living in roofs or in walls and coming out after tenant leaves ect my land lord was worried about that and asked that i never keep vens on the property and have locks on all enclosures. also real estate asked for a copy of my reptiles licence.

ratbag i love that idea, she would have a heart attack then get up and take photo's.

my real estate inspects every 3 months apparently thats their policy and they always bring a camera with them and take photos of everything plus some times 2 of them come out and the land lord comes with them so i have 3 people walking through my house taking photos lifting blankets ect

really peeves me off

They are allowed to inspect every three months unfortunately =/

But taking photos and touching your personal belongings? Totally different story

i thought they were allowed to, they even put it in writing (that they will be bringing a camera and taking photos) wen they send me a letter to notify me of the upcoming inspection.

The whole time they are there, take photos of them while they are taking photos of your stuff..... (get in thier face) and go and take photos of thier car...... in the windows... the number plates..... the tyres..... be a real pain in the butt and make them feel really uncomfortable :lol:

Then find out from the rental board what your rights, and thier rights are...... especially that 3 people do the inspection every 3 months..... then find another place to live, I reckon :rolleyes:

They shouldn't be touching your personal belongings. 3 monthly inspections are pretty standard though, as is taking photos of the property. (However they should be making an effort to avoid taking photos of personal belongings wherever possible).

I strongly recommend that you always notify your managing agent about ANY pet you have, including reptiles. If they find out later that you were hiding it from them it can be a 'black mark' against your name for all future rentals.

We told ours about the blue tongue when we moved in, they said not to worry as it was just like furniture. Then later on when I got the snakes they told the owner who sent us an order to remedy (get rid of them), we pointed out what was said about lizard and asked what the diff was. They basically got sick of me arguing with them and put them on our lease as being allowed, also came out that when they told the owner about them they didn't mention that they were in enclosures.

I just had a house inspection today the property manager knows I keep reptiles. But I put a blanket over the front not to freak anyone out and all was fine

It's a lot of work to go through when you can be upfront from the beginning and find a place where you won't have to rearrange your collection every 3 months. I've rented a few places now and on all applications I've written my 7 snakes but added they were in locked enclosures. On all places I've rented there hasn't been a problem, just written into the agreement that they were to remain in locked enclosures. I had more trouble getting the cat approved then my collection of pythons.

Im pretty sure most times when they say no pets they are referring to dogs generally as they damage the property. But as a landlord myself (also a tenant) I can see where they are coming from as snakes are apparently (I dont own one yet) escape artists. You can imagine it would be hard to release the property if the tenant decides to move and there snake is some where in the roof lol. Also the land lord may have concerns about heat lamps and heat mats being on all day with the potential to cause a fire (unlikely but has happened) and then ya can imagine the arguments between insurance companies as to who will pay out.

Also regarding the agents taking photos, I would sack my agent if they didnt take photos specially as I live interstate and can not view my property personally. Photos are proof that not only the tenant is taking care of the property but also that the property manager is doing his/her job properly by looking after the interests of their clients. All in all though if my tenant wanted to keep reptiles in my house I personally would not have a problem however we do not allow dogs as they just destroy the place (in some cases).

Also if you are that concerned just put them in the wardrobe in tubs or something as the agents are legally not allowed to inspect the wardrobes. I have had agents tell me people grow dope in them because of this, but in that case they can obviously smell it and report it to the police but the agent must not open up the wardrobe as they do not have that right.

It's a lot of work to go through when you can be upfront from the beginning and find a place where you won't have to rearrange your collection every 3 months. I've rented a few places now and on all applications I've written my 7 snakes but added they were in locked enclosures. On all places I've rented there hasn't been a problem, just written into the agreement that they were to remain in locked enclosures. I had more trouble getting the cat approved then my collection of pythons.

I still think the fact he has reptiles is on a 'need to know basis'..... and I dont think the estate agent needs to know. If you 'do the right thing' and it backfires and the agent gets the poops..... you will end up having to get rid of your reptiles or move..... I would choose option 2 and move..... and tell the next estate agent you have the reptiles and want to put them on the lease.

Sometimes silence really is golden..... now is that time I reckon ;) up to you :)

honesty

Hey guys currently started renting a unit I've got a few snakes and lizards but am unsure whether to tell the real estate or wait til they come for an inspection to check on the unit as they say they come in 4 times a year have you guys had any trouble with real estate and reptiles cheers
nathan

always pays to let the real estate know you have them they have always been fine with me having my lizards and snakes thats from the profecionals

always pays to let the real estate know you have them they have always been fine with me having my lizards and snakes thats from the profecionals

It pays to let agents know 'in advance'..... if he opens his trap now and the estate agent wants to play nasty.... the next thread from the op might be trying to find people to look after his reptiles while he finds a new place..... or worse, if he has a long lease, may have to get rid of the reptiles.

I think if the fine print on the lease is read, the lease cant be broken early on the grounds that he cant keep his reptiles, because he signed a lease with no pets clause.

Do the right thing.... at your peril...... hide them or there will be a 50-50 chance you will be up poop creek.... you wont win against a real estate. Next home you rent, tell the next agents about them.... before signing the lease.... and have it noted on the lease that you are a 'licensed reptile keeper' and give them all the details.

Just my opinion ;)

What are profecionals?:shock: Can a doctor cure them?:lol:

You can always try the good old hypothetical situation and say to them you were thinking of getting into reptiles and would the landlord allow that?

If you are a kind and responsible renter, I dont see any issues at all. None of my rentals have cared.

Why are rental agents OBSESSED with windows? Its completely up to me if i want dusty windows with penises drawn in the dust. Piss off!

I moved three months ago to a rental property by myself, and when I applied I said I had a number of reptiles. They didn't even flinch, said yeah no probs as long as they are in locked enclosures.
I have a room dedicated to my 20+ pythons and with two thirds on racks I was concerned about my first inspection.
Real estate (ray white) was impressed how tidy the place was, yes they took pics (nothing personal in pics) as the property owner lives in Melbourne. I found it to be very quick (less than five mins) and unobtrusive. Maybe I am lucky?
I only specifically have my cat and dog on lease. I am sure they may complain if I had brought my feeder rats with me but if that's the trade off for keeping as many reps I like, then I am happy:)

I'm in the process of looking to move. Although I have a handful of reptiles, my main concern is for my cat & 2 ferrets. On my applications I'll be stating that I'd be willing to pay an additional PET BOND on top of my rental bond & hope this will be seen as a positive thing & not taken negatively (that cats & ferrets destroy things).
Christ, I hate moving.

Yes, last time I rented I got my cat and reptiles written on the lease.... but the op is already moved in. If he now mentions his reptiles and say he has 11 months to go on his lease..... the agent will do one of 2 things 1/ say "thats nice" or 2 say "get rid of them" probably in an official "breach" letter from the rental bond board. He has 11 months to go in the lease, and he must get the reptiles off the property. If he gets caught with them before the end of the lease, he will have major issues. He cant leave before the lease is up IE: A can of worms.

On the other hand, If he says nothing and just puts his snakes in the wardrobe in pillow cases, for the duration of the inspection..... and disguises the enclosures as plant vivariums (buy some cheap orchids or something to put in) he will have no issues at all.

Next time he moves, then tell the estate agent prior to signing the bond;)

Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back