Breeding tips...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irbz_27

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the title of the thread says I'm after some breeding tips. I'm wanting to breed some pythons next season, or attempt to. Never done it, and at this stage have very little idea as to how to go about it. I've got the book keeping & breeding aust pythons on order... Any other books I can read, any websites, anything that can be of assistance... What species would be reasonably easy to start off breeding? Not concerned about cost or anything like that. Obviously next breeding season is a little while off so I just want to start doing a bit of research now and look at sourcing a pair of "x" pythons that can see this venture be a success...
Thanks in advance for any advice

Just follow that book and you should be right and you learn by your mistakes

Hi guys, as the title of the thread says I'm after some breeding tips. I'm wanting to breed some pythons next season, or attempt to. Never done it, and at this stage have very little idea as to how to go about it. I've got the book keeping & breeding aust pythons on order... Any other books I can read, any websites, anything that can be of assistance... What species would be reasonably easy to start off breeding? Not concerned about cost or anything like that. Obviously next breeding season is a little while off so I just want to start doing a bit of research now and look at sourcing a pair of "x" pythons that can see this venture be a success...
Thanks in advance for any advice

you wont need any other books after reeding keeping and breeding australian reptiles trust me that book is the retile keeper/breeders bible

Any tips on species to go with as a first off breeder??? Or does it not really matter, all same amount of work/time/effort involved?

Last edited:
Anterasia species are some of the easiest species to breed and are recommended as a beginner for breeders as they don't require a cooling period. Well I heard that anyway. I have no breeding experience either but hope to start up in a few years!

Rule of thumb is to get a male............ but also a female;D. Sorry! Get your breeding sized pair. I'm a believer in lay boxes, so maybe one of those filled with moist sphagnum moss. Give em a coolin period, or not. Sometimes it only takes 3-4 degree's. Then hopefully they tangle and shes basted. THEN. You need a cooker, unless mums gonna do it. Then you need a place to store all these hatchies, if they hatch, with heat and escape proof tubs. Once all that is done, give or take a few other things, you need to buy food. Then you need to feed 'em. Once you get that sorted, then you have to move them. Either into bigger tubs, or sell 'em. Thats when all the fun starts! :D All morelia are easy to breed. Just on a side note, where are ya. Ive had a clutch of jungles just hatch. I can maybe get you around and give you a few pointers;D

when you get the book they go through all species work out whats best for you, your location, whats in demand and how long your willing to wait for the hole progress some have shorter breeding seasons to others and some take longer to incubate then the rest. its got heaps of good info from breeders all around australia and good pictures, each species has its own section with all recorded breeding season resolts etc.

Hey whyme I'm in narre warren... Time willing to put in to the project isn't an issue, nor is what to do with them after getting them feeding. Hey what's the worst scenario, I get stuck with a whole heap of snakes... That'd be terrible. Even if I ended up with more than I wanted and was unable to sell them on I wouldn't have an issue giving them off free to the right people... I don't want to do it for the money, I just think it'd be a really cool experience. And obviously this time of year I'm seeing heaps of threads and pics of everyone's clutches and it's making me even keener to give it a go. Looking forward to receiving the book and having a good read through it. Thanks guys for the help

what type do you have? are they old enough? roughly they have to be 3years for breeding but in my experience the first year with carpets are mostly duds for an unexperienced male, the advice I would give would be to buy an proven breeder male or pair of something that you love the look of, or with unexperienced males to have 2 males to stimulate your female into breeding. but to save time and effort its easier to get resolts to just by a proven breeder. when introducing your male and female for the first time they can sometimes battle just like male/male combat so if this happens go take them both to get probed before selling thinking you've got 2 males, they could be ill paired or just too early in the season to be paired up. try again in a week or 2 and so on. I'd start accumulating equipment and work out how your going to do it, if you dont have an incubator and want to incubate them other than let mum do it then you need to buy one or 2 or build it yourself, from fridge, freezer, esky anything that seels properly, you need heat tape, thermometer/hydrometer for your egg containers, thermostat and a thermometer/hydrometer for the incubator, vermiculite or water for your egg containers, etc etc. containers for eggs, hatchy stack and containers for babies and small bowls for water etc, all costs alot of money to set up and also a candling or led torch for candling eggs, oh and make sure your hatchy stack is heated to one end of all containers. all pairs need to be cooled 2-3 months prier to pairing. good luck with it.

Hey PR I don't have anything at the moment that would constitute as breedable... Yeah the plan was/is to buy a pair, likely proven breeders. At the moment I've got a few jungles, a diamond and an olive, do may go with something different to them... Bredli maybe... I literally have no idea about breeding so your advice is much appreciated. I'm gonna start buying all the equipment over the next month. Aside from what you mentioned, is there anything else I'd need? Obviously all that is covered in the book? Also, best place to buy all this from? Someone that won't rip me off and can also give me some tips as to what I'm doing...

I've bought from various private breeders and URS for animals but most of mine I started when they where hatchies to 2 years of age, I've also recently bought 2 proven breeder female bhps from reedy's reptiles here in the NT, his prices are cheap but you got to consider that they originally where wild cought which meens 2 things, 1. can have scaring from being in the wild, and 2. nasty pieces of work ;) lol. I managed to get 2 for the price of one and one of them gave me 5 eggs this season not bad I say for a 5 year wait. took me 5 years to find the perfect females I wanted to buy and work with. its taken me 9 years of buying/trading and trying my luck at breeding I've been trying to get successful season for about 5 years so far and this year being my fith year is paying off next year should be to new beginnings and successful seasons in many years to come.

but hey I've seen beginners get it right the first year and have success so good luck with your venture.

check out wikki on this forum and herp traders too, I stay away from gum tree and trading post but thats me. buy from respectable breeders on here post in the wanted thread if you wish, have a look at urs website they sometimes have adult snakes for sale. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back