New enclosure - Too rough?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtis

Reaction score
Hey APS,

I just bought a brand new stein enclosure. It looks amazing and is over 2 metres high with a waterfall ect. I have put my 4 year old albino darwin in it and have noticed in just one week alot of sore/cuts are appearing on her.

It seems the background is just far to rough for her, her scales just keep getting peeled up and small cuts are appearing. I have taken her out of the enclosure and now it just sits there empty.

Are there any breeds of python with far harder scales that could live safely in this enclosure? I believe rough scaled pythons may be a good option? I would love some opinions on this.

Thanks for your time APS.

Stein.jpg

you can always get some sand paper and sand the rough bits down. so she can still use that enclosure.

I think that may take off all the colour of the background, I wont be able to repaint it the way it was either.

I always wondered about this also? I kept Port Mac pythons a few years back on Universal habitat Rockwalls and had the same problem.

Should state, I've never had any experience with the Stein product, though.

A member on here had the exact same problem. Stein enclosure + albino = scars .
Yeah maybe just run your fingers over the features and buff out any sharp edges.

i'd contact steins and discuss your options with them. I am sure there would be a solution. They also should be informed so that they make sure they remedied anything like that before they sold any more enclosures with the same issue.

This is the first time I have heard of any of their enclosures injuring an animal.

I had the same problem... You are supposedly meant to get a dishwashing brush and scrub down the enclosure before you put anything into it... Its a bit of a hassle but the rock backgrounds are really hard and it wont do them any damage...

I had the same problem... You are supposedly meant to get a dishwashing brush and scrub down the enclosure before you put anything into it... Its a bit of a hassle but the rock backgrounds are really hard and it wont do them any damage...

Did this fix the problem? I will definately try this if it worked for you.

I got the rage, sold the enclosure and the snake and got out of reptiles... So I wouldn't know... I'm still waiting for them to deliver my next enclosure which I was meant to get months ago...

Sigh.

Would there be any other species which could safely live in the enclsoure?

I will contact them and ask and let APS know how it goes.

you could get some type of dragon that climbs to use that space as they don't slither so wont hurt themselves. e.g. boyds dragon, or tree monitor ect thats if your into dragons/ monitors or even lizards

Obviously there must be a quality control issue with the manufacturer. Thats sad to think they will take your hard earnt $ and give you a product that you have to fix yourself. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously there must be a quality control issue with the manufacturer. Thats sad to think they will take your hard earnt $ and give you a product that you have to fix yourself. :(

- - - Updated - - -

***,, My comment came up twice and my computer isn`t made in aust.

I will contact them and ask and let APS know how it goes.
Contacting the manufacture/supplier of any product that you are unhappy with should always be your first step. This is the first time I've heard of such injuries from Stiens enclosures.
phone them and email them and keep any emails they send you in case you need to take it further. They've always had a great reputation on APS.
good luck and let us know how it goes

Contacting the manufacture/supplier of any product that you are unhappy with should always be your first step. This is the first time I've heard of such injuries from Stiens enclosures.
phone them and email them and keep any emails they send you in case you need to take it further. They've always had a great reputation on APS.
good luck and let us know how it goes

Well I wasn't complaining about the enclosure, I was asking what is a better suited species for it. Which is purpose of the thread.

If albino's are renowned for not being suited to steins like it was mentioned above I'd prefer to just get a python that will suit the enclosure rather than try and fix it myself which will probably result in it looking far worse lol.

I would contact stein enclosures instead of looking at another snake. The chances are other species could end up with the same scratches.

You shouldn't have to fix it yourself. It is their mistake and they should be the ones to remedy it.

stein enclosures

Just remember that someone else has taken over stein's so the feed back would be great for the new owners. If you don't let them know it cannot be fixed.

Well I wasn't complaining about the enclosure, I was asking what is a better suited species for it. Which is purpose of the thread.

If albino's are renowned for not being suited to steins like it was mentioned above I'd prefer to just get a python that will suit the enclosure rather than try and fix it myself which will probably result in it looking far worse lol.

You expressed concern that the surface seems to be cutting up your albino, I doubt that albinos are any softer skinned than any other species. If the surface is rough enough to cause that sort of damage then I would say its to rough and not fit for the purpose for which you purchased it.
Contact the new owner of steins and see what he suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back