Scale Rot help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aerojake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi just asking for any info on how to treat early stage scale rot my 3yo female spotted has a light to medium tinge of brown on a few corners of her belly scales a few are completely light brown in colour and a few are flaky and dry I've been changing the substrate every day and cleaning any mess since I first suspected it about 4 days ago but she is coming up to a shed which is what got me as the pink belly happens with both shedding and scale rot its just the scales haven't gotten flaky like they are now before a shed, her eyes have just come clear again so she's only a few days from completing her shed should I treat her before and after her shed or wait till she's finished her shed and treat then, I am really shocked at how fast the scale rots progressed since I first spotted it this is the first time I've experienced this as I am a newbie to python husbandry any help would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a image of a snake with scale rot very similar to the stage mine is at I am using another image as I cant get a clear image of my girl.

Attachments

• scale rot.jpg
    scale rot.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 310
Are you sure it;s scale rot?
If so what substrate you have in the tank?
If you using anything but newspaper I would change.

I've only been using newspaper, I thought about waiting it out till after her shed to see how it looks then but its the flaky scales that are worrying me for the last couple of days when I've got her out there seems to be more and more very fine scales left in the enclosure from her.

that aint a spotted python. and that definatly aint paper in there, looks like wood shavings. if you have not changed it yet then change it to clean news paper. if its getting worse take her to the vet.

Lol looks like a ball and can't see the paper ;)...
lol yeah it is a ball as said in the description it is a very good example of the stage my spotted is at I had to use another image as I couldn't get a clear image of her tonight maybe in the light tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to everyone I wasent clear enough that this is an example image, I will post a few up of her tomorrow to give a better idea.
Thanks for the reply's.

Wait until after it has shed before doing anything. My jungle did the same thing and it was was incorrect temps and humidity that wasn't helping the shed.

Ok will do.

You might want to try fix up your attachments so that we can see the actual Pics. If you click on Go Advanced and the Manage Attachments on the next screen, you will be able to upload them correctly.

I edited previous post and followed what you said hopefully they are working now.

I edited previous post and followed what you said hopefully they are working now.
Cheers.

From those pics, I would say its just a bad shed. Check your humidity & temps and you should find the majority of that disappears once the old skin sheds

Does it have a slight lump just around we're the scales are blackening ? It could also be some kind of infection inside the snake an absyss or cyst maybe I'd take it to your vet if it is scale rot they have cream It cost around 30 bucks it'll clear scale rot right up an any other scale infection /damage but go get it checked out my hypo bredli had a slight lump after its scales started to blacken an it turned out to be an absyss an I had to put it down because the abysses was to big an he would never be able to poo again

sorry to hear about your bredli mate did the vet say what could have caused the cyst/absyss ,
I inspected her again this morning I cant feel or see any lumps what's the name of the cream your talking about seems like a good product to have at hand.

It was caused by something puncturing the outside of his colun possibly a bone or something I'm goin to the vet today to find out the actual cause while I'm there ill ask the name of the cream for you as I have forgotten the name

Thought I'd better update this post forgot all about it lol anyway all is good now after her shed her belly went back to normal turns out it was just stuff stuck under her scales as suggested by you SC thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back