has anyone seen their pythons do this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
heya peeps dont know if this is the right area to post lol,
well i woke up and checked on my yearling darwin sesshomaru and found him sitting like this!?..
is this normal and has anyone seen their male pythons do this?

wth2.jpgwth.jpg

Are you 100% sure it's a male? Females bask there bellies when they have eggs.

Last edited:
At you 100% sure it's a male? Females bask there bellies when they have eggs.

well it was sold to me as a male from a person off this site and also he hasnt been with another python ever, he eats regularly

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a false pregnancy. Maybe its a female not a male.

Ive Only ever seen Gravid females bask like that, you may have a female there and I'm of the belief that a female can retain sperm for a number of seasons, someone else may be able to clear this up... if you're sure it's a male it might be confused and looking to live its life as a female???? ( that last little bit was a joke )

I have heard of male pythons doing this... just because it is inverted does not mean it is a gravid female...(however usually it does! hehe). Perhaps you would like to take it to a breeder and have your python re-sexed? Just for peace of mind :) But if you're certain it has not been with another python and this cannot possibly mean eggs (some pythons have been known to store viable semen from a previous mating) then you should be fine.

i have a female that will do this through out the year and have seen males do it from time to time
just having a stretch i guess :) if all other signs are good i wouldn't worry about it

Not 100% sure. It was either a darwin or a costal, one male one female. The behaviour stop after about a week or so before they escaped. Funny thing is 3 days later they came back!!! P.S they were kept years apart, the second was bought because the first one died. The second snake was the one that came back, I believe it laid eggs so perhaps this is the reason your snake is doing this strange behaviour.....it is ready to lay eggs. Maybe it was sold after being sexed incorrectly. The only way you can be sure is to have it sexed yourself.

Last edited:
yeah i will get it sexed but still very sure its a male and it would be way too young to have eggs as its only just a yearling...

- - - Updated - - -

thank you very muchly peoples

My thoughts are that it may have been pressed vertically up on the glass and fell backward? Do you find him like this regularly? What was he doing after you took the photo?
I think he just lost balance and flopped like that.

My thoughts are that it may have been pressed vertically up on the glass and fell backward? Do you find him like this regularly? What was he doing after you took the photo?
I think he just lost balance and flopped like that.

it is the first time i ever seen it, well while i was taking pictures he moved his head an now he has moved over to curl up normal in the cooler side

I've seen males do it. Its not something I would go check the sex because of, also it should be noted the snake is only a yearling, I doubt anything hormonal is causing that, he might just like it.

Not that unusual, Ive had young snakes do it after a big feed on more than one occasion.

Way to young to be gravid in any case, bring it up and il sex it for ya lash.
Although i thought we already did lol.
I like the thoughts about it curling up against the glass then tipping over.. seems the most logical.

Thank you very much for everyones input
lol thats a worry out the way

- - - Updated - - -

Way to young to be gravid in any case, bring it up and il sex it for ya lash.
Although i thought we already did lol.
I like the thoughts about it curling up against the glass then tipping over.. seems the most logical.

thanks, i think that was my normal darwin lol, that would be awesome

Well if that is the case then ,I have heard story's of this happening, he may have a sort of muscle pain and has found himself a new position that is confutable ,like when our own muscles go stiff and there becomes an odd position that you have to move to to stop the pain. But the most likely thing that has happened is ,as said before, has just lost balance.

For Christmas I aquired the book "What's Wrong With My Snake?" in case of anything goes wrong. After a good hard look at the contents and several look overs of the book itself, I can't see anything like this in it so it is probably nothing. He might just be basking strangely or he 'tipped over'. :) (But weveryone has already established this :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back