snake catcher bitten , passes out at wheel

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really do need to know what snakes are in your area. ID is probably the most imortant factor in rescue and removal. I'm sorry to hear about this.

You really do need to know what snakes are in your area. ID is probably the most imortant factor in rescue and removal. I'm sorry to hear about this.

I agree and that's one reason I refuse to give ID's over the phone. Someone's description is usually far from the mark. All about Duty of Care.
Glad to hear he will make a full recovery could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for the link Sarah. I can understand a Keelback being miss ID'd, but a Brown Tree Snake?

Glad the WIRES member will make a full recovery also. A friend mentioned the other day that a bite from a Rough Scale has resulted in blackout within 15 mins! They seem an underated species to me in terms of venom potency (though they are on the highest level permit in captivity-along with EB's and Coastal Tais).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky he crashed, if he'd made it home before he passed out he mightnt have made it to hospital!!

And people wonder why the ridiculous & enormously tiresome "keelback" joke IDs on this forum often result in negative comments....
Prime example of how a wrong ID can go seriously wrong.

And people wonder why the ridiculous & enormously tiresome "keelback" joke IDs on this forum often result in negative comments....

Anyone who takes ID advice from some randoms on the internet with a view to interfere with the animal is asking for nothing but trouble in the first place.

Well said. There's no place for mucking about and joking around when it comes to identification of venomous snakes on public forums. A lot of children and inexperienced people read these forums and we have a duty of care to them.

Last edited:
Ramsayi, it sounds like you're condoning tomfoolery on ID threads. It's an irresponsible and unsympathetic point of view.

Not at all.At the end of the day anyone who potentially places themselves in harms way as the result of believing what they read on the net is a fool.

People should only ask for ID's on an internet forum out of interest. If you don't know what it is it should be treated as venomous and left alone, or a snake catcher called. No one should rely solely on a forum ID.

People should only ask for ID's on an internet forum out of interest. If you don't know what it is it should be treated as venomous and left alone, or a snake catcher called.

Glad someone gets it!

People should only ask for ID's on an internet forum out of interest. If you don't know what it is it should be treated as venomous and left alone, or a snake catcher called. No one should rely solely on a forum ID.

And what happens when(like in this instance) a catcher can't properly ID a decently venomous snake from a quite harmless one, with serious consequences?
The net or real world, proof you REALLY need to know what you're doing.

True.. there is probably about 3 or 4 people on here that i would actually take their word..the rest of you are lying. ;)

i think snake id's should be taken seriously. what if someone gets on APS for the first time and they live in an area were there are no snake catchers and they post a pick and someone jumps up and says keelback and the OP looks up keelback and then thinks ok its non venomouse its in my bedroom i'll go pick it up and put it outside, wen infact it is a venomouse snake. what then?

i notice a few posts in the id section every month that are from new members that join to get a proper id, they don't know about the keelback joke. so i for one take it seriously and i aint gonna put someones life at risk with keelback jokes.

Glad someone gets it!

I agree.

Half the time there's no point identifying it to someone who's clueless about it, and if that's giving people the green light to kill it or interfere with it then it fails on all fronts IMHO.

Don't touch it, and if you don't want it there, call someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

If you know nothing about the mechanical workings of cars, you look up a service centre or mechanic on the net and entrust your vehicle to them. Why? Because in comparison to you, they are the experts. According to the above logic, you shouldn’t use anything off the net… it’s just some “random”.

People see a forum of snake keepers as experts compared to them. Often they have a live snake to deal with and want to know what to do. We have had those who are unable to get a snake catcher and need the right sort of advice in a hurry. A lot of people are not aware of snake catchers and their services and we can help out there.

People who contact APS have a need. We have the expertise to service that need to a greater or lesser extent. If you wish to throw up your hands and say go elsewhere and stop chasing this information from us, because we are just another ‘random’, such is your prerogative. But if they come to grief because they are left clueless, be it on your head.

Fortunately we do have responsible individuals who are prepared to assist appropriately and with expertise. It is not solely about trying to provide an ID.

Blue

- - - Updated - - -

A small qoute from the sticky that ALL users of the ID thread are requested to read before using the thread...

"To those Requesting an ID

take NO chances and treat every unidentified snake, alive or dead, as if it were dangerously venomous. Small size means nothing – ‘little’ snakes have caused fatalities. Even a dead snake can inject venom. The biting reflex remains intact for many hours after the snake has died or a scratch from a fang could introduce venom under the skin.

Do NOT attempt to kill any snake. A significant percentage of fatal snake bites from venomous or unidentified species are the result of just this."

It might help if those making comment made themselves familiar with the procedures.

This is why the mods take the ID thread policy very seriously and will not let any member chit chat in said forum. For some this can be life or death hence the zero tolerance.

However this thread is still only a guide to what a species may be and any unknown species should always be considered vemoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back