Don't handle frillies like this please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
Not the best display of how to handle a frilly, especially when it comes from the A/director of parks in the NT. There must be a lot of stress put on that point of curvature in the tail... looks like he is more familiar with holding water diviners.

Screen shot 2013-01-27 at 8.28.46 AM.jpg

The most comfortable (for the lizards and myself) way I've found of holding frillies is to hold them somewhere between the base of the tail and mid tail with one hand and then let the lizard just sit on the back of your other hand.

When animals feel comfortable and supported, they settle down pretty quickly.

I don't know how to handle frillies myself but I wouldn't hold any animal without supporting its body...

That's shocking! My frillies always sat with their bellies in the palm of my hand and their tails along my forearm. To reduce stress I would simply lift them higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

and these are the guys who are supposed to be in charge of protecting our native animals , what an idiot , he should be hung upside down by his ankle for a few hours

I always thought it was pretty much common sense to support any animal's body when picking it up... This guy has got some learning to do!

x

maybe he thought it was a bollard . they are all fairly comfy holding them :)

yes i do go camping and own a 4x4

can't believe someone who works in parks let alone a director does not know how to hold a reptile. basic reptile/ animal handling training should be manditory for all parks workers.

Before everyone flames him to death I would just like to say that frillies backs are actually quite strong and thick, although I never handle our ones like ( wouldn't either ) that, I am just saying it wouldn't hurt as much for a frilly compared to say a beardie / bluey etc.

Even if it doesn't hurt the animal, I'm quite sure the presenter is not a cripple. How much effort does it take to use the other hand that he may or may or know he has. Just a show off.

for most lizards with a bit of size, I like to hold the base of the tail gently with the other hand under the lizards chest with my pointer finger between the front legs and the other finger behind the front legs.

Lets see how he feels if he were held by his tail? Well the equivalent of his tail... (which I won't mention) for that long getting his picture taken! Noob

yes but just because it won't hurt as much doesn't mean it won't hurt. He still needs to be flamed to death I think.

With my black ops flame thrower... :twisted:

Lol too much call of duty ;) nah but in serious they are some what similar too monitors in the way they can snap around fully in one movement, genetically having a stronger spine. Yes it may still hurt

By the look of the dress of the person out of shot I would say it is one of our new black clad storm trooper coppers and the hand picked ultra compliant director would be handing it over for destruction so it wont interfere with the new enviro appocalypse projects our maniac government is proposing.

Just a guess......

By the look of the dress of the person out of shot I would say it is one of our new black clad storm trooper coppers and the hand picked ultra compliant director would be handing it over for destruction so it wont interfere with the new enviro appocalypse projects our maniac government is proposing.

Just a guess......
My thoughts exactly.

Regardless of wether he is causing the animal discomfort or not, he should be setting an example. There could be inexperienced keepers watching him thinking that's the way lizards should be handled because he is a park official and 'knows what he's doing'. Also.. check out how white his knuckles are. He's really squeezing that thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see him hold a few other animals the same way... like a dog or cat :lol: Why do that just because its a lizard??

Haha.. I'd like to see him grab my Malinois like that. He'd have to follow her round with a poop bag for the next few days just to retrieve his nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back