Bad Shed - GTP - Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay and watch how he does it just in case you ever need to do it again in the future. I know my friends with the Coastal would just swab away with a chamomile soaked washer or even the teabag itself and then work at it again but I appreciate your nerves I hated the first time I had to restrict my girls head to examine something up close. I'm glad the rest of the shed came off well for you.

im just worried about its eye and not being able to remove the cap properly. I'm sure its something simple to do but im just a bit cautious with it.

Don't worry so much.... gently restrain your python and run the area under 'warm' water for a few seconds and either grab shed with fingers or a pair of twissers ( I use twissers ) and slowerly remove retained shed repeating process as needed to ease off unshed skin ( backwards should be done slowly if it's the only option... as it looks in your case ).
When u get to the eye caps just slowly pull shed skin until the eye cap 'pops' out from behind the eye socket ( this will distend the eye a little just before the 'pop' but don't worry it will be fine ) and bob's your uncle one fully shed snake :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Don't worry so much.... gently restrain your python and run the area under 'warm' water for a few seconds and either grab shed with fingers or a pair of twissers ( I use twissers ) and slowerly remove retained shed repeating process as needed to ease off unshed skin ( backwards should be done slowly if it's the only option... as it looks in your case ).
When u get to the eye caps just slowly pull shed skin until the eye cap 'pops' out from behind the eye socket ( this will distend the eye a little just before the 'pop' but don't worry it will be fine ) and bob's your uncle one fully shed snake :)

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, i did what you said and it worked a treat. Just had to man up a bit. I couldnt get into the VET today so figured i'd give it one last shot and it worked a treat! Quite proud of myself now :) I'll have to double check my husbandry to make sure it doesnt happen again. Thanks again!

from what I can see, I think the eye caps are off....

Turns out they wheren't off :) It was quite strange watching them come off when i had ahold of the left over shed.

An occasional bad shed is no cause for panic, and certainly not a reason for a vet visit. They're not as fragile as you think they are, even GTPs. A good soak for a few hours and gentle easing it off is usually fine. Misting every day may be overdoing it a bit once they get to that size - once or twice a week is fine. They don't live in constant dampness in the wild, even if atmospheric humidity is high - and even this is seasonal, for 6-8 months of the year they don't see rain at all in the dry season.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back