The strangest thing just happened

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So I went to check on my woma and he had messed all over his enclosure so I bagged him up then cleaned out his tub. Instead of putting him back straight away I sat down and watched some TV. After about 15mins he wrapped around my hand and then I strange thing happened. He constricted and wouldn't let go. It took me about 30mins to to unwrap him. I was thinking it was the scent of the dogs combined with it being dusk that may have triggered it. The only thing is he didn't latch on, not even close, and he had a 150g meal on Monday (he weighs just over 800g). Instead he put his head in his hide and wouldn't let go. He normally doesn't constrict his rats and is super placid, so it was quite amusing.

IMAG0206.jpgIMAG0207.jpg
Anyone have anything similar happen? Or want to make any suggestions why it happened.

Sometimes when snakes get scared they hang on really tight. He may of been feeling really insecure so started holding on tight. My Jungle does it all the time, hurts sometimes! Strong little buggers.

May have felt your pulse and warmth along with the smell of mammal (dog). Possibly trying to constrict before eating and had no reason to strike because it was already around the prey. BTW that is a really nice woma.

Nice one RF. Maybe it got jealous of the female on the newspaper with the glasses on and thought she was coming to take your Woma and Woma's reply was "I'm not going anywhere".

nice woma, my blackie does that occasionly and the same thing happens with squeezing and the head in hide:)

andynic07 that's what I was thinking. It was quite amusing to watch him even though my fingers turned purple. He hasn't had any experience with dogs before and can be quite food mad. Such a typical woma, super placid except when food is on offer.

Aww he is beautiful! When I first saw the picture I thought it was your finger that the woma was a lil' hatchling. I then read "it took 30 minuets to get him off" and I was like wow! he must not have any muscle mass ;) Then I clicked on the photo and i'm like it's a leg not a finger lol

It's actually my hand, (he had grabbed all my fingers, ouch). He is still not a big boy as he is only three years but womas are such chuncky little snakes. He is around 1.5m give or take and weighs just over 800g.

I've posted all these photos before, but I think he is worth showing off when he is being nice. :)
058.jpg042.jpg006.jpg013.jpg

Last edited:
I think I may overfeed mine. It is 2 and a bit and is about 1.4m and 1200g

That what pythons do mate, and a good reason why its not a good idea to put them around your neck!

That what pythons do mate, and a good reason why its not a good idea to put them around your neck!

Don't worry I haven't done that since I first got him and he put his head through my shirt label and got "stuck". Needless to say i freaked out and was trying to work out the best way to cut him out when he back tracked and got himself out really easily. :facepalm:

Anyway lesson learnt and after feeling what he did to my hand... well I don't think I would be nearly as amusing around my neck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back