How big???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

borntobnude

At what size/age is it ok/right to add a new lizard to a couple of adult beardies ?? .Eventually the enclosure ( 6ftx3ft 3ft high ) is to hold 4 CBD's . Is this too many /or do you think wrong ?.

Honest answers ,I am tough :lol:

as long as they are around the same size they should be fine. It is really dependent on their individual personality though, some beardies are laid back and some are very dominant so its up to you to judge. Your enclosure size is plenty big enough for 4 also.

unfortunately beardies (especially male centrals) are not really social animals,you might be able to keep a couple of females in a big tank like that if you have several basking spots and hides.Pygmies are slightly more social so you might get away with 4 of them

I agree with a lot, but more often than not, the males will establish a social heirarchy and then they will fall into line, but on the rare occasion they do not, it depends on the individual and its preferences. Like my female, she will put up with males, but will KILL any female she goes near. It all depends on the animal, I'd try slowly introducing the new one/s with the establishes colony and see how it goes.

I wouldn’t recommend putting more than 1 male Pogona together. In the wild they each have their own home-range and are very territorial animals. If they have to, they will sort out a hierarchy if their home ranges over lap at a good food/water source. Though not being at the top of that hierarchy can course stress and depression if in that environment for forced periods of time (Captivity) and can lead to the animal not eating. It is a very unnatural pressure.
In saying that it is good to let them (whilst being supervised) figure out who is at the top of the hierarchy otherwise you could end up with an unexpected fight later on down the track..... :/

Females are a lot better but still have an order of dominance, and as 'Reptilefreak95' says above it can end up being very messy....
Best you have a 2nd options of housing the new ones and introduce them at a pace of comfort for yourself and most definitely the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back