ID pretty please...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marcia75

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Found this out in the backyard this arvo any idea what it is?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Once you get the pics sorted, don't forget to include a location and any behavioural/morphological observations you made, just in case it is something not so common or with similar looking species in other localities. Every bit of relevant information helps.

Blue

Ok i live in Logan and was out in my backyard and went into the garden shed and saw this little fella up on the top shelf... just looked at me and put his head back down haha

attachment.php

What an effort thanks Firepac...

3505gsg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate that's definitely a keelback.

Tropidoniphos mairii. Non-venomous colubrid snake.

Head shape and banding are much more keelback than Rough-scale.

With keeled scales and the colour and pattern, it is immediately reduced to being one of two possibilities – a Keelback or a Rough Scaled Snake. The former is harmless while the latter is seriously dangerous.

I must agree with GeckPhotographer in it being a Keelback. The head shape is not much wider than the neck and it has a pointed snout – both characteristic of a Keelback. The head of Rough Scaled Snakes is significantly wider than the neck and the snout is squared off and broader. In terms of the patterning, the banding on Rough Scaled Snakes is rectilinear, irrespective of the amount of dark scales. Where as the banding on Keelbacks is much more diagonal and irregular.

These two snakes are very difficult to distinguish between until you have developed the experience with both and are capable of distinguishing their differences. What to the experienced eye is an obvious difference, to the inexperienced observer could be representative of either. So please, DO NOT take any chances and always assume that it may be a rough scaled snake until such time as you are very confident that you can recognise the differences.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back