Suspected RI?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanthine

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So my bredli sounds like it's wheezing when moving. For the last few days, it's been hauled up in the log over the heat mat (~33-35C) digesting a large meal, but when I got it out this morning, I heard quite audible wheezes. The snake is now currently on its branch under the heat panel (snake achieves 30-32 C), and is giving out occasional wheeze sounds.

Wheezes sound dry, is on exhalation, and no mucous visible production. The Bredli also appears to be going into shed. The wheeze does not sound like the type you get with asthma/bronchitis, but rather when you breath out while bringing your tongue close to the roof of your mouth, and so reducing the space available for air to pass. You know, that typical vampire hiss in movies, a warning hiss, or the way kids impersonate a snake hiss.

So opinions on whether or not it is RI? If it is, I happen to have a enough ceftazidime (fortum) in my freezer to treat it (I have a turtle with shell rot which is being treated) assuming it's something common (P. auriginosa or similar).

I recently had a snake that was exhibiting a wheezing sound, extended to the odd 'whistle' as well when breathing. No visible signs of mucous or moisture around the nose, no bubbling or crackling.

A check up by a reputable herp vet proved nothing at all.....He checked the trachea for mucous and listened to the breathing - gave her a very clean bill of health and wished he had one like her in his collection! :D

I would suggest a professional opinion before administering medication - it might not be anything to worry about, and in reality unless symptoms are very obvious it is unlikely that opinions here are going to be anything more than just that - very difficult to diagnose over the net without an examination unfortunately.

For what it is worth, your Bredli's symptoms sound near identical to the ones I experienced.

I hope you work it out and it turns out to be nothing to be worried about....:)

Could be skin in nostril area. Especially if about to shed. If in doubt a vet check would be worthwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back