Please help! Jungle is shaking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelliy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced this with any of my snakes neither have I heard of this kind of behaviour. it does not look normal but I have tried looking it up there's not much info on it hardly helpful. he is a male Palmerston jungle about 2 years. he has these weird twitching shakes were he would tighten his grip then from his head down about 20 cm down his body would shake and twitch and then losen his grip an almost drop out of my hand. its not a little twitch or shake its a huge one were his head and neck move alot side to side. like what we do if theres a spider on us we will over react and move heaps. He does this randomly and sometimes does other weird things like fall out of my arm by loosening his grip!
Please help

off the description alone id say a vet trip is a good idea , and reasonably quick , may be nothing major but id be off to a vet and im not normally one to jump to that idea but it does sound very unusual

edit: how long has he been doing it ? and at what frequency and how long does it last , when you say he almost falls out of your hand , do you mean he goes limp does his head stay up or does it drop

Last edited:
I cant help Nelly but it sounds neural. I/m not an expert but I've seen similar in people.

off the description alone id say a vet trip is a good idea , and reasonably quick , may be nothing major but id be off to a vet and im not normally one to jump to that idea but it does sound very unusual

edit: how long has he been doing it ? and at what frequency and how long does it last , when you say he almost falls out of your hand , do you mean he goes limp does his head stay up or does it drop

About a week I have asked his previous owner and still waiting on a reply. It's fast but not heaps fast! Probably normal speed! It last about 2-5 seconds depending and no his head is normal it's just he almost drops out of my hand because straight afterwoods his grip loosens and starts to fall! I am trying my best to get it on video! It only happens when he is out of cage in someone's hand or tightly gripped on something

Maybe it is stress relate.
That could be the reason he has been going alot of places and traveled around with me a lot and seen a lot of things! But I have done the same things with all my snakes and they were perfectly fine when they went out and about with me

That could be the reason he has been going alot of places and traveled around with me a lot and seen a lot of things! But I have done the same things with all my snakes and they were perfectly fine when they went out and about with me
Are the other snakes you have different species?

Are the other snakes you have different species?
I have a atherton jungle, tanami woma and 2 cape York jungle hatchies! I have had Bredlies before and another jungle. All these snakes never seem something like it in them. I've seen little seizers that are completely different lookin to how he does it

I have a atherton jungle, tanami woma and 2 cape York jungle hatchies! I have had Bredlies before and another jungle. All these snakes never seem something like it in them. I've seen little seizers that are completely different lookin to how he does it
Looks like a vet visit. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

hey there would you be able to post a vid on here or maybe put it on youtube?
does it look anything like this ?? jungle carpet is sick - YouTube or this? Shakey Squee - YouTube
does he do it when you are holding him? if so maybe put him on the ground and see if he stops,probs stress

Last edited:
I am not really sure what it could be so I would suggest still get it checked out. In my ammeture opinion I was thinking similar to SteveNT with it possibly being some kind of neurological problem like what a JAG can get. If so it can be varying degrees and possible for the snake to live a long and mainly normal life. Like I said though I am no expert and have not even seen exactly what is happening so best to have it checked out just in case.

hey there would you be able to post a vid on here or maybe put it on youtube?
does it look anything like this ?? jungle carpet is sick - YouTube or this? Shakey Squee - YouTube
does he do it when you are holding him? if so maybe put him on the ground and see if he stops,probs stress
It wasn't like either if those videos! He never does it in his enclosure only when he's being he'll by someone and about once or twice a day and he is physically fine every other way !

hmm i would put it down to stress, i doubt its neuro, i have had him since he was a hatchy and he never did that

hmm i would put it down to stress, i doubt its neuro, i have had him since he was a hatchy and he never did that
Okay should I take him to the vet just in case? I am guessing I should let him relax and not have him go everywhere and keep him at calm levels?

A neurological tic can develope as a snake ages and is exposed to high levels of stress. The first video looks like IBD or something similar. The second just looks like shivering to raise body temp, often used by incubating females to regulate clutch temps.

I'd like to know how often he's handled and is he eating regularly? Is there any other irregular behaviour?

Okay should I take him to the vet just in case? I am guessing I should let him relax and not have him go everywhere and keep him at calm levels?

it couldnt hurt for a check up, but i still really doubt youll find anything wrong with him , i tell you what if you take it to the vet and find out theres a problem with him ill pay the difference sound good? thats how sure i am and if bez84 is on here i bet he can vouch for he was the person that i brought him off lol payed 300 because he was the only male :)

I am guessing I should let him relax and not have him go everywhere and keep him at calm levels?
What does that mean? Where do you take him? How often do you handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back