Bhp with funny cloudy eye

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
My bhp male has a strange cloudy spot in the centre of his eye. Don't think it's shedding time yet for him though?
qy2unu8a.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367122883160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367122883160.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 122
Looks like his eye cap has been damaged somehow. Can he still see out of it? Has he got damaged scales on the front of his nose too?

Did he he shed both eye caps last shed? Could be a retained eye-cap?

This is your New male? Looks like either retained shed or he has damaged it somehow. Some of his nose scales look a bit strange as well.

Looks like an old/healed rodent bite scar on his nose, well to me anyway :p

His nose scale damage is from him trying to pry open the door to his enclosure. Its from pushing to hard on the edge of the perspex. I am hoping it will gradually disappear after a few sheds.
The eye looks like he can still see. You can see the pupil moving around in it when you look closely.
Will be waiting till he is due to shed again to see if his eye gets better.
Could it be from rubbing his head against the side of his enclosure and getting paint on it? He is in an acrylic matt black painted Mdf enclosure.

I think it looks like it is from him rubbing his face and has scuffed his eye cap and not so much paint. That is just my opinion though and I am not overly experienced so please get another opinion.

Funny thing now with him. He is 'yawning' and rubbing his mouth on things like when they want to start shedding their skin by loosening the mouth scales.... The cloudy eyes would make sense then, BUT he hasn't gone through a milky skin stage yet..

I think it looks like it is from him rubbing his face and has scuffed his eye cap and not so much paint. That is just my opinion though and I am not overly experienced so please get another opinion.
id agree 100% my womas get the same thing from time to time , ive been told by a few different reliable (imo) people that it is nothing major and not to freak out

i believe its caused by their burrowing/digging behaviour , also my male woma got a similar injury on his nose from doing the same thing although with the little gaps in his vents , his didnt get quite as bad as your guys ( as your appears kinda dented ? ) but very similar , it healed over after a few sheds

Due to milkiness im inclined to think retained eye cap. Remove it immediately or if you aren't confident to do so seek a vet to avoid blindness. Bhp eyes should normally blend and be as dark as the rest of the head.

If he does in fact dig a lot...( like most of mine) then it's probably nothing more than a scratched eye cap. I get that a lot.
Should come off next shed.

D

Due to milkiness im inclined to think retained eye cap. Remove it immediately or if you aren't confident to do so seek a vet to avoid blindness. Bhp eyes should normally blend and be as dark as the rest of the head.

Bad advice, I had what looked like a retained eyecap on a Woma, I knew it wasnt as I had checked the previous shed, I took it to a vet and he attempted to remove it anyway, now the Woma is blind from having the lens cap removed prematurely.

Bad advice, I had what looked like a retained eyecap on a Woma, I knew it wasnt as I had checked the previous shed, I took it to a vet and he attempted to remove it anyway, now the Woma is blind from having the lens cap removed prematurely.

Thats so sad :(
Poor little guy.

Too me it either looks like - Sloughing time, retained shed or he has damaged that eyecap.
If you are really not sure, please take him to the vet, at least you will know for sure what it is.

As a few other people have asked, did you check his last shedded skin? Was both eye caps on?

I just said what it looked like from a photo and did advise him to see a vet. I was giving my opinion as everyone else here has. I don't see how my advice was 'bad'. I certainly didn't tell him to do anything to damage the eye.

It is likely the animal is going to shed to remove the damaged nose scales.

I looked through the skins and his last shed didn't have the head part on it so I can't tell. I did soak a tissue in warm water and Soaked his eyes. Nothing loosened. He is active and 'normal' so will see.
Don't really have any reptile vets in my area.
Will just keep a close watch on him.

I just said what it looked like from a photo and did advise him to see a vet. I was giving my opinion as everyone else here has. I don't see how my advice was 'bad'. I certainly didn't tell him to do anything to damage the eye.

Look I don't want to get into an argument but this isn't great advice considering it very well might not be a retained eye cap and if it isnt removing the lens will cause significant damage:
Due to milkiness im inclined to think retained eye cap. Remove it immediately or if you aren't confident to do so seek a vet to avoid blindness.

Last edited:
I actually had this happen to my one of my womas today. Read up abit, if it was a retained shed it said give it a soak in warm water and wash the eye. Checked but later and it seemed to clear up. But I am just gonna keep and eye on it and if it doesnt go away after a its next shed, I will take her to a vet.

Same thing happens with my woma sometimes thanks to his great love of digging. All comes good at the next shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back