baby carpet python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a baby carpet python, 4 days ago. She is eating well but is still biting a lot. How long will this last. Christina

I would suggest that you leave it to settle in for a little bit before starting to handle it. It is good that it has eaten already but generally the advice for people who are new to snakes is let it settle in for a week before feeding and give it a couple of feeds before trying to handle and do not handle it for the following 24-48 hours after feeding.

Thanks, I feed her straight away because the breeder said that she hadn't feed yet and I didn't want to leave it too long. I know not to handle a snake after feeding as I have a childrenii that is now 5 years old but don't remember her being so bitey, she was a little older when I got her. Know that they are all different just couldn't remember how long it takes to settle in. Your advice is much appreciated.

I usually feed mine 3-7days after bringing him/her home. I usually start handling after 3 weeks (or 3 feeds). Most hatchies are quite nippy, they will settle down with time. It just takes patience. It took about a month before my bredli stopped nipping and striking, he's now the most placid snake!

What did you mean by the breeder said he hadn't fed yet? You are right about all snakes being different. I always use a snake hook to remove all my snakes and put them onto my hand rather than grabbing at them. My spotted took the longest to settle down out of all my snakes and I put this down to being the smallest of the breeds and therefore the most scared. There is usually two reasons to bite and that is out of fear or out of hunger and when they bite out of hunger they will usually wrap after the bite.

The breeder said the he hadn't feed her as yet, though his records seemed to be a bit mixed up and he had a lot of snakes, all very big and beautiful and looking very healthy. Thought that it was a bit strange but she certainly seems healthy. I was instantly attracted to my little girl and knew that I had to have her.

Hopefully the breeder means he hasn't fed her since the week before or something, not since hatching haha. Biting should settle down with time but don't be fazed if it takes a while. Mine has never bitten me since the day I purchased him. Others can take a year or so and still give the occasional nip but they all vary. As long as you're letting it settle in and preferably keeping it in a low traffic area it should be fine. The less traffic doesn't necessarily help them settle in but it can be a bit less stressful. Otherwise you could cover the front of the enclosure with a towel/blanket. I do this at night but only to keep heat in. The problem here is if its in a click clack without fake lighting, you still need day/night cycle so you can't block out all light during the day. Best of luck with the fella.

Very strange that a breeder would sell a non feeder to someone without a lot of experience. My guess would be possibly that the snake was due for a feed and did not get it. Anyway just give it a bit of time and try a couple of techniques like hooking it out and maybe placing it on your lap get used to your scent.

Thanks everyone for your help. I thought it strange that the breeder said he hadn't fed her though she has good body weight and was one of the biggest of the lot. He didn't seem to keep very good records and there were a lot a snakes and quite a few babies. I think that he was getting confused. He was licenced and we did all the correct paper work. I have keep lizards for many years but only ever had one snake, a childrens and after much thought decided to go for a bigger snake. Thanks again for your help.

i got a new costal hatchie yesterday that nippy as hell and what i do is leave them in there click clack for 48 hours so they settle then take them out with a hook and let them crawl up my arm and get my scent,i take afew nips but when there hatchies the bite doesnt hurt so its all good,i handle them for 10 minutes a day and increase the time by an extra 10 every week,after that they usally settle done and are pretty placid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back