Inbreeding????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The skulls from humans from the Pleistocene opoch (roughly 2.6 million to 12,000 years ago) show an unusully high level of genetic abnormalities. Scientists have seen these abnormalities from early homo erectus to the end of the early stone age. Such high frequency of genetic abnormalities indicate and reinforce the idea that during much of this period of human evolution, human populations where small, and highly likely to be inbred.

Furthermore, the appearance of the Caucasian, a recessive trait among homosapians, also supports the conclusion that humans are largely the result of inbreeding. DNA mapping showing very little genetic diversity also suggests humans decended from a very small pool of ancestors.

With reference to Darwin's theory of evolution it is inbreeding that proves it out. Those animals that have developed the desirable characteristics to survive increase the likely outcome for their offspring by mating with animals who posses similar characteristics (this often is only found in closely related individuals). In this way almost all 'pure bred' species are the result of inbreeding.

With respect, my reference to playing god was intended as a precautionary thought evoking statement and not intended in a literal sense. In a theological sense, 'playing god' has little to no basis. I do agree that any decision we make to change the natural evolution of a species is not an easy call, but then again, human evolution has given us the power to do this, so perhaps after all we are doing what simply comes naturally.

Returning to the OP, I think we can agree, that inbreeding with reptiles can be used in a manner that is benificial to our own personal persuits and aspirations and if we apply rigorous controls can be of benifit to the captive reptile populations.

Regards

Wing_Nut

What makes you think humans developed from a small gene pool? (Adam and Eve did come to mind.) The Genus Homo arose in east Africa and spread north to Europe and Asia. I think there might have been a few of them...
Hi Blue, some of the DNA studies I remember seeing suggested all humans can trace there roots back to a population in East Africa of only a few hundred genetically contributing members. Apparently there is more genetic variability
in two bonobos from the same family group then there is between an aboriginal and an eskimo. When I get more time I will try and find some references.

Hi Blue, some of the DNA studies I remember seeing suggested all humans can trace there roots back to a population in East Africa of only a few hundred genetically contributing members. Apparently there is more genetic variability
in two bonobos from the same family group then there is between an aboriginal and an eskimo. When I get more time I will try and find some references.
Bonobo and Aboriginal used in the same sentence...lets hope the media doesnt catch wind of this as well lol

Bonobo and Aboriginal used in the same sentence...lets hope the media doesnt catch wind of this as well lol
Hahaha as soon as I clicked the post button that exact thought crossed my mind.

There is genetic evidence for a population bottleneck that coincides with the Toba super volcano eruption 70 000 years ago in Indonesia. Estimates for the remaining human population are as low as 2000.

It is true that there is more genetic variability between tribes of chimps and bonobos than there is between the entire human race. A population bottleneck, especially a bottleneck under pressure (as in following a catastrophe) perfectly explains why all humans have almost identical DNA. It can also explain our relative rapid development.

Any mutation gets passed through a small population very quickly, especially in a tribal situation where only a few dominant males are doing the reproducing. This can result in rapid speciation. Add in environmental factors such as volcanic winter where survival of the fittest is strongly at play and any beneficial mutation like a large brain spreads quickly through a large percentage of the population and any genetic line without that mutation dies off.

I'd like to lock in "Media gone wild and blowing the situation right out of proportion" thanks Eddie. ;)

There is genetic evidence for a population bottleneck that coincides with the Toba super volcano eruption 70 000 years ago in Indonesia. Estimates for the remaining human population are as low as 2000.

It is true that there is more genetic variability between tribes of chimps and bonobos than there is between the entire human race. A population bottleneck, especially a bottleneck under pressure (as in following a catastrophe) perfectly explains why all humans have almost identical DNA. It can also explain our relative rapid development.

Any mutation gets passed through a small population very quickly, especially in a tribal situation where only a few dominant males are doing the reproducing. This can result in rapid speciation. Add in environmental factors such as volcanic winter where survival of the fittest is strongly at play and any beneficial mutation like a large brain spreads quickly through a large percentage of the population and any genetic line without that mutation dies off. ;)
I would like to suggest that with the introduction of long term welfare that survival of the fittest and the spread of beneficial mutations like large brains are completely taken out of play. No offence to anyone that is on welfare I am just using the stereotype for the purpose of my joke.

^
Sounds a bit like the movie "Idiocracy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back