What water do you use for your snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDeDah

Reaction score
I've just been thinking that not one care sheet stated to use water that had been left out for at least 24 hours. I think thats what you do... Is it? Also does anyone use plain tap water without letting it sit?

Plain tap water is fine. If you leave it for 24 hours, most of the chlorine will evaporate, but mine are quite happy to drink the moment I put in fresh tap water and have had no ill effects in 10 years.

Oh wow... That certainly makes things a lot easier! :) cheers!

I use filtered tap water. I was under the impression that snakes didn't like water that had been sitting around for too long and it is recommended that water be replaced every second day.

fresh tap water and amazingly every time we do a water change , every snake goes straight to the bowl and has a drink ---Unless they are in slough :) And my wife changes it Every day and if I make a comment she says that I wouldn't drink old water so why should they !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use filtered tap water. I was under the impression that snakes didn't like water that had been sitting around for too long and it is recommended that water be replaced every second day.
Ditto

I use tap water:)

I think another usefull thing to add to this thread would be how many times a week or how many days apart do you change the water? I change mine every two days:)

Pythons especially will tend not to drink water that has been sitting for more than one day. Techniques for water purification have improved significantly in recent times and the amount of chlorine added these days is less. Some water supplies may substitute chloramines, which last longer but have less smell and taste.

If you keep fish, this may be an issue depending on the amount of chloramines present, as water aging products invariably rely on sodium thiosulphate (photography fixer) to neutralise the chlorine. This will not remove the ammonia released from the chloramines but a biological filter, an activated charcoal filter or a good a rapidly growing aquarium plants will. I have done 90% plus water changes with neons, ancistrus, ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, coolie loaches, platies, angels, kribs, guppies and a few others in my attempts to get rid of heavily tannin stained water – and refilled the tank, which is well planted, straight from the hose. The amount changed was built up over time and experience. I think it says something about the quality of water you get out of your tap these days compared to that of the past.

Blue

Pythons especially will tend not to drink water that has been sitting for more than one day. Techniques for water purification have improved significantly in recent times and the amount of chlorine added these days is less. Some water supplies may substitute chloramines, which last longer but have less smell and taste.

If you keep fish, this may be an issue depending on the amount of chloramines present, as water aging products invariably rely on sodium thiosulphate (photography fixer) to neutralise the chlorine. This will not remove the ammonia released from the chloramines but a biological filter, an activated charcoal filter or a good a rapidly growing aquarium plants will. I have done 90% plus water changes with neons, ancistrus, ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, coolie loaches, platies, angels, kribs, guppies and a few others in my attempts to get rid of heavily tannin stained water – and refilled the tank, which is well planted, straight from the hose. The amount changed was built up over time and experience. I think it says something about the quality of water you get out of your tap these days compared to that of the past.

Blue
Not sure if it was an old wives tale but when I kept fish I would use a hose into a bucket but would hold the hose about a meter above the bucket to splash the water and release the chlorine. I am not sure what science is behind this or if it even worked but I used no chemical neutralising agents and had no problems with fish dying. As you have said though you used water straight from the hose with heavy water changes with no problems either.

Jus wondering about Tap Water Conditioner...how fast does it remove/neutralise chlorine? Instructions on the bottle never mention the time factor.

I guess that it would depend a lot on where you are , In Adelaide the water from the tap isn't all that flash ,Broken Hill water has a "special " taste as does Narrabri and Mission Beach until about 6 yrs ago had an inch of dirt for every litre .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back