Two year old Woma isn't eating, help would be appreciated!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazloe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday in with their snakes :lol:
I have a bit of a problem feeding my Woma and I was hoping
some of the more knowledgeable and/or experienced snake
owners would be able to help.

I've had her for two years now and she has been a dream, never
biting anyone, really explorative and as hungry as the dickens.
I've since come back from a long overseas trip and I have had to
move houses in the process. Up until this point she has been happily
taking medium sized rats every two to three weeks depending on
her bowel movements, but as of this week she hasn't eaten anything
in three months.

I have offered her medium to large rats four times in the last three
months and she hasn't even snapped at them. I tried leaving the rats
in her feeding container with her, but she still doesn't try to eat them
after a good thirty minutes.

I'll admit that it's almost time for a new enclosure as she has been
growing rapidly, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws as to why she
isn't eating. Just for extra info: The temperatures in her enclosure are
good, I refill her water often and she still likes to come out and explore.

Sorry for the ramble, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I've also checked for tics to see if she is reacting to anything like that,
but I didn't find anything.

How old is she? Sounds like she might be in brumation. Sometimes even with stable enclosure temps they know that it is breeding season. If nothing else is wrong and she is just disinterested in food, I wouldn't worry.

Out of curiosity, what are the temps and do you have night heating?

Hi RedFox,

She is just over two years old, hot side is around 32-34 degrees and cold side is 24-26 degrees.
She has night heating as well, but she seems to be staying on the cool side of the enclosure for
most of the time. Thanks!

Hi RedFox,

She is just over two years old, hot side is around 32-34 degrees and cold side is 24-26 degrees.
She has night heating as well, but she seems to be staying on the cool side of the enclosure for
most of the time. Thanks!

At what time of the day are you actually checking the temps? Any chance late night/early morning that they are lower than you think?

Now that you mention it, I've only been checking during the day...
I'll make a point to check the temperatures later tonight, could that
have anything to do with her lacklustre appetite? Thanks again.

Now that you mention it, I've only been checking during the day...
I'll make a point to check the temperatures later tonight, could that
have anything to do with her lacklustre appetite? Thanks again.

Most likely has everything to do with it.If temps early morning are say 10C lower than you think then it would be 22-24 and 14-16 on the cool side.Best to check at 6 or 7 am as this is usually the coldest part on any day.

Just checked the temps and hot side is 31 degrees whilst the cool side is 19 degrees.
The cool seems a little bit too cold, but that's where she spends all of her time. I'll
follow your advice and check first thing tomorrow morning, thanks a lot for your
help :)

Try and get the cool side up to the mid 20's.Even if they have a decent hot side temp they detect that the cool side is too low then that can be enough for them to brumate.

If you are sure your temps/husbandry are correct. Try downing the food size.
I have an MD who up until recently was eating Regular-Large Adult Rats without an issue.
Lately she wont even touch Small Adult Rats. I've had to resort to feeding 2-3 Weaner Rats at a time instead.

Downing the food size sounds like a good idea, after I make sure the temperatures are right,
I'll pick up some smaller rats. Thanks for all the help guys!

Its winter, I wouldn't worry about the feeding, but I'd make sure the cool side doesn't go below about 21.

At that age she can go for months at this time of year without chewing down her regular feed. Start worrying in about 4 - 5 months if she still isn't eating. Cooler weather and an inherent sense of breeding season may be playing havoc with her sense of feed response. As Boondocker and others have suggested, it sounds like she is mature enough to want to breed and is entering brumation due to lower temps. Just monitor her and offer a feed every few weeks. My four year old 8' and 9kg BHP female has NEVER refused a fresh quail or small rabbit, but has just started to refuse feeds, but I can see she is starting to collect follicles for breeding as she is starting to get rather large! Check your girl to see if she looks like she is getting "fatter" in case she is doing the same! If she is - I'd start looking for a nice male to get acquainted with! Cheers, Buzzy

Downing the food size sounds like a good idea, after I make sure the temperatures are right,
I'll pick up some smaller rats. Thanks for all the help guys!

Let us know how you go.

Just as a comparison. I offered the MD that has been off Small/Regular/Large Adult Rats lately a Small Adult Rat tonight. Still no go. So in the end the Jungle chowed that down. BUT...
I tried offering her five Weaner Rats (about the same weight as a Regular Adult Rat [185-250g]) and she took all of them. This may not work for you. But it's worth a try at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back