Pinkies defrosted can I feed them to my little guys still

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami-Lochy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a dozen or so pinkies on the freezer and I turned the fridge down a bit recently to try save some power and stop the ice building up but now it seems the pinkies have thawed out. They are still cold but definitely no where near frozen solid. Does anyone know anything about this and if my snakes can still eat them?
i heard that monitors can eat refrozen foods, so usually if my snake doesn't take it's meal and them the monitors don't take the pinky meal I refreeze and give to the monitors later. Do you guys know if that is true?

If they remained cool/cold in the refrigerator they should be fine to refreeze (providing it was not for days....). If they sat on a bench for several hours in the warm they would possible still be ok but worth assessing the risk and maybe discarding to be sure.

Re-freezing meat (even for human consumption) is fine providing that the temp it was kept at, and time left unfrozen has not allowed bacteria to grow. No different to fresh meat that is left sitting around....the fitness for consumption depends on how well it has been kept whilst defrosted - not by the process of re-freezing.

Cheers for your help Bart, they were sitting at about fridge temp for a day or so and so I'm hoping they should be fine. Got an ice pack on them now and turned the fridge back up :)
So it's about the bacteria. I was recently told that the monitors can digest the substance that forms while the pinkie is thawed out. Could anyone shed any light ? :)

Cheers for your help Bart, they were sitting at about fridge temp for a day or so and so I'm hoping they should be fine. Got an ice pack on them now and turned the fridge back up :)
So it's about the bacteria. I was recently told that the monitors can digest the substance that forms while the pinkie is thawed out. Could anyone shed any light ? :)

Monitors will eat decaying animals given the chance in the wild, as far as im aware they have pretty a tolerant stomach.

Rick

You could leave your pinkies in the bottom of your bin for a week and they'd still be fine for a monitor.

For fresh meat anything between 3and 67 c will allow bacterial growth ,it even occurs at 1 or 2 c but very slowly . No foods for human consumption should be defrosted and re frozen to be defrosted again and eaten .

With your pinkies if you refreeze them there would be a risk but snakes have a very different metabolism to us, so the risk is a lot less .
As I am not a big monitor fan let them have them :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back