Hi everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz2607

Reaction score
After about a decade of hassling my mum, I've finally been able to get a reptile licence :D at 16. I am extremely lucky to be friends with an experienced breeder who set me up with a pygmy python about a week ago. Unfortunately, he's on holidays at the moment so I can't contact him and I'm a little bit worried about my temperature (I live near the snow, very cold!). I've played around with the setup a bit, and have managed to get the temperature to sit comfortably around 27C at the warm end. I'm pretty sure that this is a little low. My snake hasn't been overly active, mainly keeping to his hide rock, but seems to be doing well, and from what I understand this is pretty normal with new snakes. He responds well to handling and has eaten well, roughly 48 hrs ago (haven't found a poo yet). Should I be worried about the temperature, or is it ok? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Jazz, welcome :)
Pygmy as a first snake? Lucky :D You need to get that warm end up to around 32 degrees hot spot.

What is the enclosure like mate. Many people put small snakes in click clack containers and only use a heatmat under 1/3 of the floor area connected to a thermostat. :) Best of luck mate and welcome

It's a plastic click clack enclosure, about 40 cm long, 20cm wide and 20cm tall roughly (snake is about 12 months old), have a heat mat connected to thermostat, I have the thermostat set to 35, which is as high as it goes, but still the enclosure isn't warm enough, I'll try moving the probe to a different place maybe?

Cover some of your ventilation holes up with a towel or something to help hold your heat in. If that doesn't get it hot enough cover the entire tank up.
Cheers Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back