What type of darwin is this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldbloodedinc

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can any one tell me what type of darwin this fella is i was told it was a darwin jag sib just not sure
mezepyze.jpg

Looks like a run of the mill coastal (Morelia sp mcdowelli) to me.

Didnt buy him from a breeder... I got him off a bloke that didnt want him any more because he was bitey and gettin to big ive had him for 2 weeks and hold him every day without fail and have noticed a huge change in temprament

"Jag" is a pattern. It doesn't mean anything. All it means is that someone has decided it looks "Jag", and has bred from parents who look "jag". It's meant to refer to the pattern of a jaguar, with patches of brown with dark rings around them. More specifically (but not always the case) it would have spots instead of the large interconnected blotches that carpets often have. If you think it's a Jag, then good on you. If you're not planning on breeding it, then it's just a pretty pet.

"Jag" is a pattern. It doesn't mean anything. All it means is that someone has decided it looks "Jag", and has bred from parents who look "jag". It's meant to refer to the pattern of a jaguar, with patches of brown with dark rings around them. More specifically (but not always the case) it would have spots instead of the large interconnected blotches that carpets often have. If you think it's a Jag, then good on you. If you're not planning on breeding it, then it's just a pretty pet.
Jag is a genetic trait.....not a pattern.

Jag is a genetic trait.....not a pattern.

Yea, it's a genetic trait that affects pattern. There also doesn't seem to be a reliable way of referencing it. Different people have different ideas about what it means, because it's subjective. There's no way of confirming a het python without breeding it, and the genetic trait that leads to reduced pattern is JUST BREEDING FOR REDUCED PATTERN. It's not like we're breeding based on DNA testing, we just observe that it seems to behave in the same way as a co-dominant genetic trait. It's probably a series of different traits, hence why it has so much variation.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but it seems to me that if you're not breeding the python then it only matters what it looks like. If you are breeding the python, then you should do a lot of research in order to actually understand genetics and recessive traits, and you'll probably choose breeding stock from a reliable breeder if you want to advertise it as "hypo" or "jag" or whatever.

If it is a darwin jag sib then it is a cross and not a darwin.

If it was sold as a Darwin JAG sib it is almost certainly a Darwin coastal cross with the possibility of other subspecies mixed in.

Ramy the Jag mutation is a definite co-dominant mutation that breeds true, it isn't simply an appearance or certain pattern. There is nothing subjective about it it is either a Jag or it isn't. As this is a sib it isn't a Jag.

Looks like a normal Darwin to me, dam fine looking snakes!

Yea, it's a genetic trait that affects pattern. There also doesn't seem to be a reliable way of referencing it. Different people have different ideas about what it means, because it's subjective. There's no way of confirming a het python without breeding it, and the genetic trait that leads to reduced pattern is JUST BREEDING FOR REDUCED PATTERN. It's not like we're breeding based on DNA testing, we just observe that it seems to behave in the same way as a co-dominant genetic trait. It's probably a series of different traits, hence why it has so much variation.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but it seems to me that if you're not breeding the python then it only matters what it looks like. If you are breeding the python, then you should do a lot of research in order to actually understand genetics and recessive traits, and you'll probably choose breeding stock from a reliable breeder if you want to advertise it as "hypo" or "jag" or whatever.

Almost none of this is even close to correct. Maybe spend a bit of time researching incomplete/co-dominance and the Jag mutation itself

Thanks all didnt think it was jag prob just a normal darwin beautiful none the less

Looks like a typical SIB to me.. So be a mixer... Prob darwin x %jungle jag... Meaning it also has some % of coastal in it

Actually 'Jag' is the Jaguar co dominent genetically inheritable morph, not just a colour pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back