what substrate is best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansss

Reaction score
hiya i have 1 albino darwin carpet and 1 jungle carpet and am probably gonna get another albino darwin soon, i have aspen bedding now but we’ve had a few issues which it being incredibly dusty and not sure if its good for the snakes, i have seen people suggest organic topsoil and playsand mix and was wondering if that would be the best option or any other options to consider as am wanting to switch it out soon. thanks in advance

Aspen is fine, what I suggest is looking at the environment your snakes are from and looking at the soil and humidity levels. Lets take the jungle for example, in the daintree the soil is lots of leaf litter broken down by fungus in the soil. It also rains like every day so the humidity is also very high, so in captivity I use coco coir with leaf litter and a bit of ecy mulch as it holds water well and means I don't need to mist as much. But for something like a Darwin the soil is quite dense with lots of clay, along with the no rain dry seasons and only rain wet seasons I personly would do a aspen to ecy mulch raitio of 1:1 and in the dry season mist once a week if at all and in the wet season do a heavy mist daily/every second day.

I hope that answerd your queston and wish you the best of luck.

Back