Sunning enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisturbedDave

Reaction score
Had a bit of a search around, but couldn't find anything other than the small-ish mesh enclosures, worried that my EWD's will quickly rip these though.

I'm hoping for something rather mobile, as I would like to move it to various locations (there's a rotweiler in the backyard, so can't leave them out there).

So, for those who treat their reptiles to some natural sunlight, what do you use to house them when taking them outside?

How would a guinea pig enclosure go? They're mobile and pretty big :)

Look on ebay at the cheap chicken coops. . It's important not to cook em so make sure there is some shade etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a bird cage or something? Maybe a bit expensive

Some good ideas. I like the guinea pig one, means it will have a shaded area they can escape to. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Some good ideas. I like the guinea pig one, means it will have a shaded area they can escape to. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

The wooden hide areas can heat up a fair bit in the sun. I would just make sure to position it so that part of it is shaded.

Rick

For EWD's you can probably use a bunny hutch or a small chicken coop; you can pick them up pretty cheap online or on gumtree. If the hutch doesn't have a covered area then throw a towel over one end so it's shaded but the breeze can still get through.

Looking around for the above mentioned coops, unfortunately most of them have a solid roof, reducing majority of the light. Not a fan of the long triangular ones either, not enough room for them (I want to secure in a few branches etc, so they can still climb around while in there.

Looks like I may end up making one. At least that way it will be exactly the way I want it.

It's probably cheaper to make it, at least you get what you want then :) I don't know where mum got it from but we have this wire mesh box thing for our rabbits, it was about 2 x 2 x 1 and the top split in two and opened up. It was still really light so we could move it around the lawn and put little hutches in there. I'll ask her and get back to you. It'd be perfect :)

Looking around for the above mentioned coops, unfortunately most of them have a solid roof, reducing majority of the light. Not a fan of the long triangular ones either, not enough room for them (I want to secure in a few branches etc, so they can still climb around while in there.

Looks like I may end up making one. At least that way it will be exactly the way I want it.
Even the least handy man could cut the roof and put mesh panels in.
but yeah making it is always the best option.

Thought it said stunning enclosure.. Lol

what about aviary mesh on a basic wooden frame.. Just chuck it on the grass??

Thought it said stunning enclosure.. Lol

what about aviary mesh on a basic wooden frame.. Just chuck it on the grass??

Yeah thats what I'm thinking, it really just needs to be a rectangular shape, and I might make 1/3 of it with a roof for shade. Unfortunately can't sit it on grass as I have a dog out the back that will scare the hell out of the dragons, so I'm thinking of making a tray for the bottom of it and filling it with substrate.

If I can't find something that is easily modified to suit what I want, I'll knock something together when I get a chance and post it up on here to give others ideas.

I asked mum but she had it given to her by my aunt. Have you looked at dog runs?

I asked mum but she had it given to her by my aunt. Have you looked at dog runs?

Nah, but I think that might start getting a bit too big. I'm thinking something no longer than 1.5m, and no higher than 1m. Problem with something larger is that I will have nowhere to put it when they are not using it, as I don't want to leave it outside, as I'm sure it will quickly become a home for bugs, including spiders, and the dragons are only 6 months, I don't want them exposed to that sort of threat yet.

I made a 1200x1200 outdoor enclosure for my beardie. I used some old bed slates for the frame and some old timber boards that were laying around the house. Ill post a picture tonight as i dont seem to have one on this phone.

Rick

Also check out the 2 tier "bird cages" that are also listed for ferrets on Ebay.
They're about $140.
I have one for my ferrets & always considered the size & construction as ideal for "sunning" reptiles as well.

I made a 1200x1200 outdoor enclosure for my beardie. I used some old bed slates for the frame and some old timber boards that were laying around the house. Ill post a picture tonight as i dont seem to have one on this phone.

Rick

Any luck on that photo?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

Knocked this together over a couple of afternoons, just need to add the fake turf, timber climbing spots, and a shaded area.
gy6yraqy.jpg

Any luck on that photo?

Ill see if i can dig it up for ya, think i have one on my ipad.

Knocked this together over a couple of afternoons, just need to add the fake turf, timber climbing spots, and a shaded area.
gy6yraqy.jpg

Becareful using fake turf in the sun, that stuff normally gets pretty hot in full sunlight.

Enclosure looks good.

Rick

Cheers for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on it. They'll have a shaded area, and a branch I've screwed in, so should be able to get away from hot ground if need be, but I won't be putting it out on days over 35 degrees, n it'll be arvo sun they'll get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back