Sunning enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wire mesh and water dragons is not a good mix. I have seen individuals kept in aviary style cages with several centimetres of jaw bones jutting out. An appalling commentary on the owner at the same time. The dragons see the big wide world outside and keep charging into the wire, trying to escape. So I would recommend that you fit some opaque material 15cm to 20cm high, right around the base of each wall. The plastic lawn edging or even cardboard cut from box would do the trick.

There is a huge advantage to being able to put your animals on grass. It is photosynthesises in sunlight and in so doing gives off cooling moisture. Think about a mid-summer’s day. You can sit on bricks or concrete or other hard surfaces. How do they compare to sitting on a well grown lawn? Your lizards would definitely appreciate the difference.

If you cannot put the dogs inside or in the garage or on a runner lead for an hour or so, what about simply excluding them from a corner of the yard. A few star pickets, some chicken mesh or ringlock and a bit of tie wire will do the trick in under 10mins. You need monitor animals when placed in the sunshine and I would suggest you need to be a temperature gun at the same time.

Long thinner enclosures are best as part of them can be placed in heavy shade, such as the shadow of the house, and part in full sun. The high ventilation your structure will provide is good.

Sorry this is mixture of criticism and compliments but the reality is that any enclosure in the sun can quickly overheat, depending on a number of factors, and reptiles succumb very quickly to being overheated i.e. death does not take long. Done properly, there is nothing better than some regular exposure to natural sunlight for most dragon species.

Blue

Thanks Blue.
I'm heading to bunnings this morning anyway so I'll see what I can find to cover the bottom part of the mesh.
Unfortunately I can't give them access to any grassed areas, which is why the enclosure was designed do well ventilated. It will be placed partly in the shade from the house, keeping the closed in part of the enclosure cooler for them get away from the heat.
Once they are larger they will go into a purpose built enclosure outside, but as they are only 8 months, they're a bit too small.
I could always throw a few grass seeds into a shallow container, large enough to cover the sunned part of the enclosure, which actually isn't a bad idea. I'll find a suitable substrate for the rest of the enclosure.

I do appreciate the criticism, as I'm doing this for their health, I don't want to do the opposite by missing something.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4

i picked up a sunning enclosure for my bluetongue today i got it from aldi for $39.99 all you have to do is make a lid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back