New jungle python owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qskee

Reaction score
Hi i am the proud new owner of a 4 year old jungle python, i have research a bit but this is my first snake. I think i should be ok but any advice would be great

Hey Qskee, welcome to the forum! :)

What information and advice were you after?

I came and saw him today and he handled very well, got him home and settled handled him ok on my own. He was due for feeding so fed him a weener rat which he took straight away. About 2 hours later i opened up the door to see if he wanted to come out again, he struck at me so i left him alone as i read the shouldnt be handled after feeding anyway. He was at the glass looking at me before and struck at me through the glass. Is this common after feeding or is he feeling uncomfortable with me as hos new owner?

imagejpeg

He is stressed from being in an unfamiliar environment. Snakes can take a while to relax and become comfortable. It is good he fed but I would probably leave him alone for a week to let him settle in. Then you can start handling for short periods of time.

Don't worry it has nothing to do with you being its new owner.

It is also best not to handle for 48-72 hours after feeding as they need to digest teir food :)

As Redfox said let him settle in without any disturbances, for now that is the bet thing you can do :D

Ok yeah i had a feeling he was a little edgy, will it stress him further if i begin to make changes to his environment? Old owner ran a heat lamp on a thermostat at 34C 24/7. I would like to know if it would be of any benefit lowering temp at night to give him a more natural feel and whether day and night temps should be different as the seasons change? If so what temps are best?

Hey mate. Nice Jungle. I too am new to the Jungle scene.

Where do you live. Im in Melb so its cold at night. My lamp is set at 28 and stays on 24/7. She seems to be happy with that.. def let her settle after feeding. Mine gets snappy for a few days after.

I've got my jungle set at 33c and drop down to 24c at night. I would lift it a bit coming out of winter from 28c.

As already stated above, it is best to leave them alone after eating otherwise too much stress and they will regurgitate although it is uncommon it stinks especially overnight. I had it happen once in the garage I had to air it out for half a day.

Leave his heat how the guy had it, leave the snake alone for a week.

As it's your first snake and you only just got it, don't go playing around with temps you aren't sure about. Having a constant hot spot will do it no harm.

Also do you know the weight of the snake? A weaner rat for a 4 year old jungle is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back