levis progress

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintanger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i bought 2 6 month old levis in march and their tails were a small meaning no fat deposite so i have been feeding them every day and kept the heat up all winter.

well here are the before pic's
rep tank 012 (600x383).jpg

and the after pic's
levis 002 (600x400).jpglevis 003 (600x400).jpglevis 004 (600x400).jpg

the light one has become such a fatty and she was smaller, male has also put weight on nicely.

anyone have any great progress pic's?

Nice looking couple, they will make a.

They're body size look great, however proportionally their tails should have more mass to them. What is your feeding routine and your hot end temps at? Also, are they housed individually or together?

Yep ^ Agree the tails are still to thin esp if you have a female n male together, Having heat turned up your actively encouraging them to breed when she's not in shape imo. I'd be separating them till she's got a good fat tail.

I think heat turned up (assuming its below 33), and a separate enclosure for the next season. Sexytime can wait, lol.

heat is 33 on hot end, the 2 boys are together female is on her own. but i put her with the boys for the pic to compare. they are feed every night crickets and woodies that i breed myself, so they are gut loaded. every secound feed is dusted with calcium and multi vitamins.

the male eats well, but the female is a fussy eater but is getting there. and over the last 2 months i have noticed a great improvement.

Ahhh their tails aren't unhealthily thin they're just putting all their reserves toward growing while they have a good food source and heat. You slowly cool them and they'll put more resources into the tail.

Ahhh their tails aren't unhealthily thin they're just putting all their reserves toward growing while they have a good food source and heat. You slowly cool them and they'll put more resources into the tail.

thanks, that's what i was thinking. they have doubled in size and are fat but the tails still do look abit small. once they stop growing all the fat will build up in their tails.

My levis hatch from eggs with tails about as thin as first posted, that about doubles as they feed up and then doubles-triples again when they are first cooled.

the 2 boys are together

^ Disaster waiting to happen esp as breeding season coming up. Keep male separate otherwise you may loose a limb or worse, N.levis are solitary animals. 29c is fine for hot end floor.

they are in a 4ft enclosure i have put a divider in the middle so they have no contact with each other. i do put them together for pics but they are monitored and never left alone.

i only kept the temps up to keep them feeding over winter as they were to small to brumate.

Thats great. Everything your doing is what I would do except for the temps I think 29 is a little low and may be contributing to fat not being stored well in the tail. The cooling stimulating storage of fat in the tail sounds very logical and interesting. Is this a general thing with reptiles and the storage of fat in the tail?

Thats great. Everything your doing is what I would do except for the temps I think 29 is a little low and may be contributing to fat not being stored well in the tail. The cooling stimulating storage of fat in the tail sounds very logical and interesting. Is this a general thing with reptiles and the storage of fat in the tail?

i have hot end at 33 as stated in post 7, but i think i might try lowering it to see if they start storing fat in their tails thinking they are being cooled ect.

I would not cool at such a young age. I have hatchies on heat until they're adult size pretty much. Yeah thought I saw u say 33. Each to their own about when they first cool I guess. Also depends on hatch date time of year.

Not as fat as I wanted her but progressing nicely :)
nu8e4yje.jpg

My guys never got cooled this year and there growth has been crazzy all most adult size in 6 months and are now starting to put fat on there tails like I sead no cooling through there first winter there tails were no fat but not skinny ever now that winter just about over I will star to warm them a bit more I don't know if thay will breed this year but matey early in the next but given there only just 7 months old I don't care if I have to wait till then . I do have them both together there been like that since I got them in early march. Weight of them are as fallows female 18grams and boy is 14.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back