shedding problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JACK0

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on getting the last little bit of my spotted pythons shed off. he had issues shedding about a week ago so I gave him a warm bath and it worked it got about 95% off but there's just a little bit left behind his head underneath, he's a snappy little snake and didn't like his bath much at all but are there any other ways to get the rest off?

When mine had a bad shed I would get a large plastic tub, fill it a few cm's deep with warm soapy water and leave the snake in it for about 30mins. It would soak the old skin so it would easily rub off.

Oh okay thanks for that, I didn't know if they liked having someone remove the skin for them but I guess it's possible, isn't there another way of using wet towels and having them slide through them to try get the skin off? Duno if it works but it sounds like its worth a shot

You could try wet towels. Whatever works for you, basically. I prefer to use my hands because I have more control. Just make sure you massage the dead skin off, as opposed to pulling it off.

Hey, have used the wet towel a few times with success. As others have said don't pull the shed off. just gently rub it. I hav just hang a damp towel it the enclosure before and let the snake sort its self out. Worked ok..

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 4

Oh great well I might give that a go, also Craig483 you probably shouldn't use soappy water on the snakes

My ball python had a really bad shed once, the tub worked wonder and avoids all that chemical shed assisting product. If he doesnt like to stay still fill a container with lukewarm water and close him in it to soak for 30 minutes (with breathing holes) it will losen the old skin and gently rub your thumb along it and it should come off no problem.

Its not uncommon for it to happen, especially in winter while humidity is down. Little trick I've learned over the years, is to provide a 2nd water bowl and place it at the warm end of the cage.You'll get the humidity up a bit and your reptile still has access to cool water, placed on the cool end of the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back