Cutting malemine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamwilso

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondered if anyone has any tip's for getting a cleaner cut while cutting malemine? I'm using a circular saw as I don't have access to a table saw or any other fancy tools.

A sharp saw blade with a lot of teeth as opposed to a rip blade. fast speed and a slow push through the melamine. I have heard taping the line you are going to cut can help.

A sharp saw blade with a lot of teeth as opposed to a rip blade. fast speed and a slow push through the melamine. I have heard taping the line you are going to cut can help.

Yes agree, more teeth the better these are then smaller and finer. And definetly tape front and back it helps the melamine not chip

Tape and score the line, then cut. The side that was taped will turn out well, although the other will be chipped. My secret is a friend who has a proper melamine saw and track. That thing is magic - no chipping at all!

cut a few mill away from the line and plane it back to the line.

The side the blade rips into will not chip. When the blade exits the other side, this is where the chipping occurs because there is no support for the melamine resin as the blade exits. Generally most circular saws are cutting up back into the machine at the front rather than down. It is the top surface therefore that will chip. If you can clamp an offcut piece to the entire length of the cut you are doing, and cut through both pieces, your work piece should remain chip free. Ensure the offcut is wide enough to support the saw.

As stated previously, a fine blade (80 teeth) or so can reduce chipping.

A saw with a guiderail makes easy work of this. At the lower end of the market is the Sheppach CS-55 Circular plunge saw and track at just under $300 and available at Hare & Forbes machinery house. At the top end of the market is the Festool TS-55 R with guiderail at around $1000.

Mine cost me $50 ... Use masking tape with minimal chipping and I cut so the slightly chipped side is the inside of my enclosures which I fully seal with white silicone :)

Mine cost me $50 ... Use masking tape with minimal chipping and I cut so the slightly chipped side is the inside of my enclosures which I fully seal with white silicone :)

LOl still chips but doesn't it! And silicon has a life span, a couple of years down the track with f10 and cleaning products the silicon comes away and the chipped bits let in moisture.

Thanks for the replies. Thinking I might order cut to size from the local kitchen builders. These enclosures are going in the living room so the wife doesn't want "tacky" as she called it looking furniture.

LOl still chips but doesn't it! And silicon has a life span, a couple of years down the track with f10 and cleaning products the silicon comes away and the chipped bits let in moisture.
Works fine for me mate... Once sterilised always wash down with water.... Jeeez can't plz anyone these days

Yeah I agree Mids. Whats 5 mins and a couple pumps of silicone worth. Like after a couple years shouldn't we be doing that sort of maintenance anyways in regards to re siliconing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back