HET! %100 Etc.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean by looking at it you cannot

But if you saw the parents mating you can work out the percentages

If you actually breed the snake it will prove if it is het or not.

The problem is that probability never remembers so you may breed a het to albino and end up with all normal looking offspring. The larger the clutch the more probable that you will prove out the geneitics. I have a couple of supposed het females which I paided $7000 each for and after two clutches by an albino male we have yet to see any albino progeny. I know of another breeder who did a breeding loan with a "mate" and was suppose to receive hets from the deal. 3 years later after mating the supposed hets to an Albino all the progeny looked normal. There are well known breeders out there who dont honour their promises! some seem to have selective memory and forget that the hets are really POSSBLE hets.

It is also alarming how many '100% hets' are advertised from polygenic traits. Whether it be hypo bredli or striped whatevers. Whether it is due to down right fraud or pure ignorance it is dodgy.

Genetics again haha, in budgies het is termed split..ie and normal budgie is split for albino and the best thing, most of these split albino birds carry a white spot on the back of the head, so we know without having to prove it out :)sorry off topic a bit.

The only way to prove a het or not is to breed it to the homozygous recessive form - i.e. an albino. If you breed a het with an albino you should get approximately 50% albinos in the clutch, the remaining animals in the clutch will be hets although they will look normal. As Wokka said this is variable though, although I would have thought the odds of getting no albinos would be very low (if the probability of each animal being an albino is 50% then you can determine the probability of getting all or none by multiplying by 0.5 for each animal).

The problem is that probability never remembers so you may breed a het to albino and end up with all normal looking offspring. The larger the clutch the more probable that you will prove out the geneitics. I have a couple of supposed het females which I paided $7000 each for and after two clutches by an albino male we have yet to see any albino progeny. I know of another breeder who did a breeding loan with a "mate" and was suppose to receive hets from the deal. 3 years later after mating the supposed hets to an Albino all the progeny looked normal. There are well known breeders out there who dont honour their promises! some seem to have selective memory and forget that the hets are really POSSBLE hets.
if you breed a het to an albino and dont get any albinism the first time . you have yourself a non het python and a dishonest breeder . that sucks :(

if you breed a het to an albino and dont get any albinism the first time . you have yourself a non het python and a dishonest breeder . that sucks :(
That is the probable answer but there is a small chance that you would get none and that chance can be calculated with the method that Flaviruless pointed out.

That is the probable answer but there is a small chance that you would get none and that chance can be calculated with the method that Flaviruless pointed out.
agreed there is a small chance it could happen but i would say its a safe enough asumption that its not a het unless you had a really small clutch . but i agree if you didn't mind and you had the time it also wouldn't hurt to try breeding them again .

agreed there is a small chance it could happen but i would say its a safe enough asumption that its not a het unless you had a really small clutch . but i agree if you didn't mind and you had the time it also wouldn't hurt to try breeding them again .
Not something that I would commit time to unless it was a high priced snake like an olive. I would be pretty annoyed if it was an olive but you would have to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back