Changing back to mice from rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has come across one of their animals that has successfully been on rats for over a year refuse to eat them after a period of inactivity?

I have a Python that has successfully had 23 feeds of rats with zero issue and after a few months of nothing and several attempts with rats, she took one whiff of an adult mouse and hammered it straight away even after being teased with a rat after a while. Husbandry hasn't changed although temps have risen earlier due to a slightly early wet season but I'm skeptical that it would affect food choice.

I have little doubt that she will take rats after a bit of scenting but to have her revert back after I and her breeder had her successfully "turned" is interesting and something I would like to hear more about. Would there be a reason or is it just a case of "because she felt like it"

I've had some of mine do this, no interest in rats all of a sudden but will smash mice, no interest in rats off a sudden but will smash rabbits, always ended up back eating rats in the long run though.

On the flip side I have a chondro who won't touch mice after eating rats for a while, but he goes nuts for rats.

The first thing I tossed in for my little MD when I got him home was a Pinky Rat (by mistake), which he ate. Breeder had been feeding him on Fuzzy Mice.
He would then have 2-3 periods of not eating for 2 months. Tried Rats and Mice. He took the Rats if they were dipped in tuna/chicken/egg. But never actually ate them. The Mice were a tad more succesful. But not by much. These days he will only eat Chicks/Quail and nothing else.

Female MD would not touch her food for about a month when I first got her. Again, I got sold Fuzzy Mice that were actually Pinky Rats - That tured out to be the problem. As soon as I got a real Fuzzy Mouse. She ate it and didn't have much trouble since. I ran out of Mice one day and by that time she was big enough for Fuzzy Rats. Took and ate one without any hesitation at all. To this day I don't know why she switched from liking only Mice to begin with but now eating Rats fine. She's been slowly increasing the number of Weaner Rats she'll take at a time since about the start of October - Wouldn't eat over Winter. She has eaten Large Adult Rats before.

Just like with the female MD I ran out of Mice one day for my Jungle. Tried a Fuzzy Rat which was taken/eaten without a problem (has also taken various sizes of Chicken(s)) Although the last thing that was eaten was a Weaner Rat on 23/6. Been trying to get the Jungle to eat again since about.the start of October (on Weaner Rats) with no liuck. Time to try a Chick or Quail I reckon.

Coastals have eaten all through Winter (on Weaner Rats). Smaller of the two did take a left over Chick that the smaller MD didn't want
(was coming up to shed at the time). Yet has had no trouble eating Weaner Rats even after tasting a Chick for the first time.

Last edited:
My Yearling male Albino Darwin doesn't eat rats straight up. He will take a weaner mouse, then when he's up to the tail and opens his mouth. I just place the thawed rats nose onto the end of the mouse. He just continues eating. I will most probably be doing this for a couple of months then hopefully he will take a rat first.

yes had the same problem with my bredli he was smashing large rats at 15 months of age went of food for about 10 weeks just would not eat a rat so popped a mouse in and nearly tore it in two when he hit it at one stage i think he ate 4 mice this went on for a month i did the scenting thing again now his back to eating large rats now the final step to get him on to rabbits.....

Cheers all. It's little cause for concern as she is eating but I did wonder if there were any factors that could influence it.

Yeah my big coastal is still like it which sucks but I'm glad he eats large mice still he didn't eat for 8-9 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 5yo MUrray Darling went off rats around August, I think I wasted 4 or 5 adult rats (tried 10-14 days apart ) but he smashed a mouse that my RSP refused a while ago, so I gave him another and he's been eating the mice that my RSP refuses. Tried a rat the other day, not a chance, gave him an adult mouse, bam!
Prior to that he'd been eating a medium adult rat every 10 days.

Now my RSP is refusing all mice, but will take fuzzy rats. Luckily I have a newly acquired adult Cape York Python that happily smashed 2 rats last night! :D

I think we need more snakes so that food doesn't go to waste...well that's my excuse. LOL

This guy just started eating after 9 months would only look at mice but did the follow though trick with a rat :)

u7eze6e5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back