Newbie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates :)

My tile fits in perfectly! It was measured prior but I was a little worried that I'd gotten carried away with render.

yse9y8az.jpg

I drilled a hole in the base and made a plug so it's escape proof and also easily removable for cleaning.

u8uza4u5.jpg

Mesh has been screwed over the vents and LED strip along the top. I was going to run them further around but I like that they're hidden and even on the dimmest settings it's still fairly bright.

qyde9eby.jpg

I'm not sold on the coir peat idea at the moment. It's pretty humid up here and I'm not sure if it's the best idea to have a substrate which holds moisture.

I found a branch (half a tree?) on the beach which wedges in pretty well without any altering. I've soaked and scrubbed it but unsure if I should seal it or not. So far Steve hasn't felt the need to poop on cage accessories but that's not to say he never will.

gusu3aga.jpg

I think it'll be fine resting on the heat tile since the cord will be on thermostat and only set to around 30 deg... Does anyone with more experience know if it's a bad idea?

Perspex is being purchased tomorrow and I'm trying to source flex hinges without having to wait weeks by ordering off eBay.

I have the kick (base) in place and bringing the drawer bay home in the next few days so it's nearly all done - I'm so excited! My partner will be happy to have the dining table back - for a few days until I start building the top storey ;)

this is looking good so far! Bold move gluing straight onto the enclosure. I did mine of flat poly sheets from clarke rubber with velcro tape to adhere to the viv so that if i messed it up i could take it off easity (and to clean behind etc.)

That is looking awesome Lawra.

Thanks Andy :D I'm so pleased with how it turned out.

this is looking good so far! Bold move gluing straight onto the enclosure. I did mine of flat poly sheets from clarke rubber with velcro tape to adhere to the viv so that if i messed it up i could take it off easity (and to clean behind etc.)

Thanks bdav! I glued straight in the enclosure for a couple of reasons...

1) because it's huuuuuuuge

2) I didn't really plan how I was going to set up the wall so it was a bit like playing Tetris with chunks of foam.

If I were to do it again I think I'd definitely build it separate to the enclosure. I was basically lying half inside the whole time while working on it.

Hi Lawra look'n good, that sure is a nice neat fit with the tile, good call with the lights that 3rd pic looks awesome.
Regarding you tree branch, you may as well slap a couple of coats of crommelin on it, even if it's just for peace of mind, you've gone to the trouble of soaking and scrubbing it so why not?

I've been reading through your thread, and I must say your fake rock wall looks incredible and I feel a little jealous haha :p I wish I could make one like that.

Well done Lawra, you should be so proud of what you've accomplished, and Steve looks like he's loving what you've made for him to explore.

sorry to be a party pooper Lawra but you have your vents the wrong way around,should be low on cool end and high on hot end for proper air flow,everything else looks good though well done

sorry to be a party pooper Lawra but you have your vents the wrong way around,should be low on cool end and high on hot end for proper air flow,everything else looks good though well done

You're not a party pooper, just incorrect :)

Both images found on this forum.

y8ahyvu8.jpg
9ypaga5a.jpg

Both images found on this forum.

y8ahyvu8.jpg
9ypaga5a.jpg

This is the same principal I use & have seen used regularly... Fresh air is pulled in, heated up, rises & is dispersed providing an effective heat exchange...

Hi Lawra, thats kind of debatable. I see a lot of enclosures set up like yours and they dont seem to have any trouble, but having the hot end vent down low means cool air will be flowing over your heat tile moving the warm air away over to the cool end (warming it up) untill it can escape through the high vent (ok in southern states maybe). This can cause a draft over the hot end hide, and might make it harder to achieve a good heat gradient .
I think the reason dragonlover1 said what he said (and he should have explained himself), is that if you have the hot end vent up high, there will be no drafts over the hot spot, and your heat tile can work at a constant temp, the heat will rise heating up the hot end of the enclosure and the exess heat can escape through the hot end high vent, wich in turn will draw cool air in through the low cool end vent. This will keep the hot end hot and the cool end cool, more suitable for nq I think.

Alas, no drawer bay yet...

But I made it pretty with leaves and bought a bigger XL water bowl. The hides are yet to be painted and sealed but they're getting there :) I think if I had made them at the same time I wouldn't have had so much trouble making it tie in with the background.

gy7e6ura.jpg
e4ymyne3.jpg

It really depends on how deep the vivarium is as to if the placement of vents will affect a basking spot. If you have both vents towards the front of the enclosure (on the sides) this will allow for fresh air to be drawn in and not to effect temps over the basking site.

This setup does allow for a better flow through of air but that isnt always what people are after. Most can get away with very little/no venting at all rather then having heating elements on all hours, a thermostat and proper sized heating element will account for any major spikes in room temp rising. Most enclosures get enough air exchange during the times you have the glass open for feeding, cleaning or handling.

Ventilation is a very personal thing that working differently for everyone. Losts of people just use pegboard backs/sections as suitable venting of a vivarium.

Rick

It seems as heating and ventilation is one of the hardest things for newcomers to grasp. It's not as complicated as some people think, you just have to put a little thought into it.

Looking good lawra, keep up the good work.

How would you setup the vents on a different setup my new enclosure Im building will have the light providing heat at top off enclosure over a basking ledge on the left about half way down being the hot end and then down the bottom in the right hand corner would be a hide the cooler end Im guessing with will this work?.

By the way lawra awesome job looks great!

Last edited:
How would you setup the vents on a different setup my new enclosure Im building will have the light providing heat at top off enclosure over a basking ledge on the left about half way down being the hot end and then down the bottom in the right hand corner would be a hide the cooler end Im guessing with will this work?.

Hi bundy07, sounds a bit like my enclosure 90hx80wx60d, basking ledge on left with IR heat source. My vents are in the back wall to reduce drafts and the top vent is in the middle slightly to the left, and the bottom vent is in the middle slightly to the right and only one third the size of the top vent (I can open the bottom vent right up if I want).
My darwin has been in there for almost a month and he seems pretty happy with the set up.

AHHH SUCCESS!!!

So I never did get my drawer bank done and in the process of putting things together I snapped the heat cord in half but I don't like to dwell on the negatives so here are some photos!

First one peeking through the vent at the end (stretch neck sideways, not sure why it rotated stupidly)

20131203_231259.jpg

Steve exploring :)

20131203_230922.jpg

Testing out the strength of the Perspex - check out that nice line :)

20131203_230833.jpg

I got a glass lock and put foam along the perspex under the metal (so it doesn't scratch) and also along the gap - just to be safe!

20131203_230402.jpg

Never got around to making a hide for him but there's a pretty talented guy on here who's allowed me to purchase one of his creations :D I think it'll fit in rather well.

Cardboard rolls have been buried here and there for Steve to explore though - he hasn't seemed to discovered/been interested in them yet.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it!!! First few pics are taken with the LEDs on and no flash, but they're turned up so that I could take pics and dimmed afterwards (they're very bright!). Last pic taken with flash on prior to putting Steve in.

I hope to get everyone's feedback, always keen for constructive criticism :)

Oh and a pic from earlier this evening when we did a dry run before putting the doors on - he went straight for the empty water bowl for some reason and didn't try to escape! Mind you, now that the perspex is on he's done nothing but pace and slide all over the doors lol.

20131203_172328.jpg

20131203_172837.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back