Swollen tissue Jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canales

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Had a Jungle hatchling not too long ago. Been fed once (pinkie rat) before and i tried to handle him for 5 mins everyday.
Been really snappy . Just today, tried handling him again but noticed something really weird, notice a strong urine smell and dampness on my hand.
When i had a look at the tail area, i saw that the snake seems to have something swollen cloaca and pink tissue partially protuding .
After research, i realised that this might be a case of prolapse. I soak the snake in lukewarm water and gently massage the the affected cloaca and the tissue retracted back and it seems normal now . A couple of questions.

1) is this condition hereditary? One of the siblings hatchling had a prolapse condition when i went to purchase this snake but mine seems ok until now? :(
2) How long should i let it rest before i feed it again? It's due to be fed two days from now?
3) What preventive measures can be taken to prevent relapse?
4) Am i ok with my attempt to hand the snake ? Don't want to stress it out as it's been defensive and snappy since day one.

Snake is around 3 months old.

Anyone with similar conditions and Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

From your description it doesn't seem like prolapse.The protrusion (hemipene eversion) and smell is from him musking and is a typical sign of being totally stressed.

Stop handling him for a while until he has fed for you a few more times and give him time to settle.Also luke warm water is too hot for a python,water should be cool to your touch around 28C.

Last edited:
From your description it doesn't seem like prolapse.The protrusion (hemipene eversion) and smell is from him musking and is a typical sign of being totally stressed.

Stop handling him for a while until he has fed for you a few more times and give him time to settle.Also luke warm water is too hot for a python,water should be cool to your touch around 28C.

thanks for the tips ! Will leave him alone for a while before i attempt any handling?

As Ramsayi stated it's not a prolapse (based on your info). Young snakes will do this when highly stressed. It would have retracted on its own in time once it calmed down.

Follow the advice that's been given, if you happen to have an easily stressed juvi snake leave it alone and keep it well fed. It's hard advice for newbies to follow I know, but it'll benefit both you and your ability to handle your snake down the line, and of course your snake. I'd say leave it alone for at least 3 weeks, and just keep it feeding. You'll be able to pull it out when it's cleaning time anyway, and being a young snake it'll provide you with lots of opportunities for that. But other than that just let it settle then see how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back