Bredli wheezing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexbee

Hey guys

never had a problem with any of my animals but I've just realized my 1 year old Bredli is wheezing... I'm so worried it's ri.. Can't think of another reason.. He is eating well and his tank is 27-34deg. Please help

Wheezing is a common sign of RI. Can you see mucous build up in the mouth/heat pits. A vet trip may be in order to confirm an RI.

they can sound a bit wheezy as they approach a shed, if theres no excess mucous/blowing bubbles/gurgling when handled hes probably ok.

If the snake is eating OK, it's very likely it isn't RI - one of the first signs of impending RI is lack of appetite. Your temps sound fine, and as Chris has said, snakes often get a bit wheezy when coming up for a shed. If its behaviour is in all other ways quite normal, you probably don't need to worry.

Jamie

My adult 7 foot darwin was like this, he has been a bit whistly/wheezy for a couple weeks. he had a very big feed and the day after he seemed to have a weird mouth, it was red and irritated inside and there was mucus, and one of the sides of his mouth was drooping, the bottom 'lip'. There was a more than normal amount of saliva and some white mucus. I put him in an isolation container and spiked up his heat, expecting a vet trip in the next couple of days. however the next day the saliva and mucus and mouth redness was gone, so i assumed it may have been the large feed he had that had done something to his mouth from stretching more than normal.
He is still slightly whistly and i still have him in the isolation container with around 32+ for heat, im thinking his enclosure was getting too cold and he may have RI from that, as he only had a heat pad due to faulty light fittings (thanks to the guy who built the enclosure incorrectly i assume)
anyways i will be taking him to the vet within a couple of days, when i can get an appointment, but i have noticed he is now going into shed and after reading your comment i was wondering if the wheezing/whistling could be from this...? i have never heard of it being a symptom of shedding...
(Sorry if this is hijacking the thread)

Thanks for the comments guys.. he hasnt done this again so i dont see a problem

A couple of things worth mentioning, sometimes they can gurgle a bit after drinking, and another symptom of RI - often pythons look a bit uncomfortable - not coiling as smoothly or comfortably as usual - because they need to keep their airway open. healthy pythons often bury their heads in their coils, snakes with RI often elevate the snout skywards for similar reasons.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back