Black Headed Monitor With Swollen Abdomen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birdybea

Reaction score
Hoping someone can advise on what to do with this little guy. He's one of 6 juvenile black headed monitors we have at the moment, they would be about 6 weeks old. Fed on turkey mince (with powdered supplement mixed through) and dusted baby crickets, fed daily. Two days ago i emptied a small tub of baby crickets in there for them to chase, so i'm guessing he's over-indulged. He was out basking when i went in to feed them today and i noticed how FAT he was. Still scampered into the hide when i went to handle him. Can i do anything to help relieve his belly?
194150-62c316ec6e44f1b7a6d3298a2df7a369.jpg

Thanks, usually they are quite flat on their logs, so he looks like a balloon! I'll just keep an eye on him over the next couple of days.

Maybe skip a feed and give him a warm bath. If its just too much food he should be fine. Always monitor the amount you feed, monitors are pigs and will eat until there no more food lol

My smallest tristis tends to look like a balloon after a large meal, too. It's less noticeable in the other two who happen to be adults. I find if they consume too much in one sitting they can vomit it up, usually a day later. Let's just say half digested mouse is not very pleasant.

Thanks guys, i'll go easy on feeding and keep an eye on him. It's tough as there are 6 in the same tank and it is obvious that two are eating most of the food. We don't have the capability to separate the bigger two just yet as we still have last years young in our other tank. Too many darn lizards!! :)

My smallest tristis tends to look like a balloon after a large meal, too. It's less noticeable in the other two who happen to be adults. I find if they consume too much in one sitting they can vomit it up, usually a day later. Let's just say half digested mouse is not very pleasant.
I can't even imagine how much food it would take to make our breeding adults look like this!!! :confused: The babies are soooo little, so it doesn't take much.

Thanks guys, i'll go easy on feeding and keep an eye on him. It's tough as there are 6 in the same tank and it is obvious that two are eating most of the food. We don't have the capability to separate the bigger two just yet as we still have last years young in our other tank. Too many darn lizards!! :)
If you have a large tub you can feed them one at a time in it and then pop him back in when the others have finished eating. If not $15 is money well spent lol probs less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back